How do I connect to the internet from home?

See the Internet Service Providers or contact the Help Desk at (989) 774-3662.

I live outside the Mt. Pleasant area, what are my options?

Please consult a local ISP for Internet access in your area.

What is the campus network?

The campus network is the communications infrastructure that connects personal and university computers to other computing resources on campus and the Internet through both wireless and wired means. The campus network is solely managed and maintained by the Information Technology Department.

What do I need to do to get on the campus network?

Just about any platform with a 10/100 base T Ethernet card connected to an active port can access the network, or any wireless network card that supports . 

Are there any public places available with network access?

Wireless networking is available in almost every building on campus, as well as the area that surrounds them. There are also hundreds of public stations/open ports in the Library, and others scattered around campus. See the Labs site.

I live in the dorms, and need help getting on the network, what do I do?

During the first few weeks of the Fall semester, IT ResNet provides Depots in multiple residence halls around campus to assist you in registering and connecting to the network; visit for further information. After the Depots close, you may have your computer services free of charge by dropping your computer off at the Help Desk located in Park Library 101.

Can I have a server/system in my residence hall room or university apartment?

No. Any server found to be causing a network problem will be taken off the network until the server is fixed. The person responsible for the server, if known, will be contacted by telephone, voice mail or pager, both at CMU as well as at home. The IT staff will work with the person responsible for the troubled server in correcting the problem.

If you have any questions about maintaining a server/system in your residence hall room or university apartment, please contact the Help Desk at (989) 774-3662.

Can I use my own wired switch, router, hub, or other networking device on the CMU network?  How about using my own wireless router?

No.  Any use of switches, routers, hubs, etc. are strictly against CMU's networking policy. Due to the properties of wireless RF and to provide a seamless and stable network experience, wireless routers are not allowed. These routers will interfere with the CMU wireless and can cause connectivity issues for other users in the vicinity.  


1200 S. Franklin St • Mount Pleasant, Mich. 48859
Phone: 989-774-4000

CMU is an AA/EO institution, providing equal opportunity to all persons, including minorities, females, veterans, and individuals with disabilities. | CentralLink
Copyright Central Michigan University, Mount Pleasant, Mich. 48859 | Phone 989-774-4000 | Privacy Policy | Feedback | Full Site