OIT Policies

Who do I contact if I have questions about how technology funds are distributed?

Contact the Chief Technology Officer office at (989) 774-1474 and ask to speak with someone about the distribution of technology funds on campus.

What is the acceptable computer use policy at CMU?

Please read the Responsible Use of Computing Policy.

What happens when I violate an IT policy?

Severe and deliberate cases of infraction can result in termination for employees and dismissal for students. Minor or accidental infractions usually result in some form of notification as well as a review of the CMU policy. In the event of certain violations, it is not uncommon for the network in your dorm room to be temporarily disconnected. If this happens, you will receive a letter from Residence Life explaining the violation and giving you a contact number to arrange a meeting in regards to that violation. After the meeting, you must contact the Help Desk at (989) 774-3662 to have your network connection reestablished.

What technology resources are available to retired faculty and staff?

Faculty and staff who retire with Emeriti status are granted access to technology resources for life. Please contact the Help Desk at (989) 774-3662 with any questions you may have.

What technology resources are available to alumni?

Alumni are granted access to technology resources on campus for six months after graduation date. This is an extension of the same resources available to you as a student (computer labs, etc). Email access can be retained indefinitely.

Does CMU resell or distribute student email address lists to businesses or individuals for commercial use?

As a matter of policy, CMU does not resell or distribute email addresses to anyone. In fact, CMU has strict policies, and even SPAM filters, that aggressively restrict mass email distribution for CMU related business.