Hands-on training in animal handling techniques is provided by animal facility managers, veterinary staff and professional animal care staff.
These training sessions provide an introduction to facilities, as well as an overview of the laboratory rodent and other laboratory animals, in both a lecture and hands on format. Basic handling, restraint, and other techniques will be demonstrated. Class participants have the opportunity to practice their newly-acquired skills under the supervision of experienced trainers.
Session I training must be completed prior to being granted unsupervised access to an animal facility.
Other sessions may be required based on what species you will work with and what procedures your supervisor will have you perform.
Pre-requisites for Session I and all other hands on training courses include:
- Completion of Animal Handler Occupational Health Program requirements.
- Completion of required CITI training.
- Completion of Lab Safety (OLFS) training courses indicated on the Safety Training form completed by your supervisor.
- Training video pre-requisites can be accessed via SAP SuccessFactors or by contacting the Office of Research Compliance
Course sign up closes 3 business days prior to the planned course to allow the Office of Research Compliance time to ensure that sufficient trainers will be available.
To sign up for any training, please contact Tracee Wilson in the Office of Research Compliance at email@example.com or 989-774-1152.
Course Schedule: All training sessions are provided in the Health Professions Building Vivarium unless indicated otherwise in the course schedule. Click on each session title to find a course description and video link(s).
All prerequisites for each session (see individual course descriptions for details) MUST be completed prior to attending any session. You will not be able to attend a session if these prerequisites are not complete (Ex: watching required video) and will have to reschedule.
Session 1: Facility Introduction
- Health Professions/South Research Building:
- Thursday, February 27, 2020 - 1 pm - 2 pm
- Thursday, March 19, 2020 - 1 pm - 2 pm
- Thursday, March 26, 2020 - 1 pm - 2 pm
- Biosciences Building:
- Rowe Building
Session 2: Hands - On Training: Mouse Overview (all facilities)
- Thursday, March 19, 2020 - 2:30 pm - 3:30 pm
Session 3: Hands - On Training: Rat Overview (all facilities)
- Thursday, February 27, 2020 - 2:30 pm - 3:30 pm
- Thursday, March 26, 2020 - 2:30 pm - 3:30 pm
To request any of the following training sessions (or training on a topic not listed here) please contact Tracee Wilson in the Office of Research Compliance.
Session 4: Hands - On Training: Injection Techniques Mice or Rats
Session 5:Hands - On Training: Mouse Blood Collection Techniques
Session 6: Hands - On Training: Rat Blood Collection Techniques
Session 7: Hands - On Training: Euthanasia Procedures
Session 8: Hands - On Training: Rodent Identification Techniques
Session 9: Hands - On Training: Inhalation Anesthesia Machine Use/Vaporizer/Waste Gas, Setup, Induction, Anesthetic Maintenance, Monitoring and Recovery.
Session 10: Hands - On Training: Rodent Survival Surgery