Policies Governing Contracts


Grants are not covered by this document. All grants much be processed through the Office of Research and Graduate Studies following standard procedures.


The policies which follow apply to contracts between Central Michigan University and an outside entity in which CMU is selling services or products to the outside entity. As used here, CMU refers to any department or unit within the academic division of the university. The policies do not apply:

  • when an individual faculty member is providing consulting services independently of the university, consistent with the policies in the collective bargaining agreement between CMU and the Faculty Association; or
  • to certain activities undertaken by the College of Extended Learning; the excluded activities are delineated in a separate document.

Within these policies, the term department refers to an academic department or university-recognized center, institute, or other entity within the academic division. The term transmittal refers to the transmittal form available from the Office of Research & Graduate Studies (ORGS). This form is used to transmit grants and contracts to ORGS and to show that the project being transmitted is supported by the relevant department chair and dean.

Nothing contained herein is intended to override existing university policies.

I   Contracts which must be processed through ORGS.

  • A.   A written contract and signed transmittal must be processed through ORGS whenever:
    • 1.   the value of the contract exceeds $1,200 or extends beyond a 1-month period; OR
    • 2.   the contract involves a government agency; OR
    • 3.   the CMU department or other contracting party wants or needs a written contract; OR
    • 4.   the agreement involves an actual, potential, or perceived conflict of interest as defined by the university's Conflict of Interest Policy.*
  • B.   The signed transmittal must be submitted to ORGS prior to CMU signing the contract. Ideally it should be submitted before the university bids on the contract or otherwise offers to provide the contracted services.
  • C.   The contract (regardless of what it is called) must be reviewed and approved by ORGS. To simplify this process, departments may request a "blanket" contract form for use with a variety of customers. The advantage of the blanket contract is that it will not need to be scrutinized by ORGS each time it is used, but like all contracts, it will still require the signature of someone with the appropriate contracting authority. In most cases, that will be the Vice President for Research and Dean of Graduate Studies.

II   Agreements which Bypass ORGS

  • A.   Projects not covered by the provisions of Section I.A. (above) do not require a signed transmittal nor a written agreement and do not have to be reviewed by ORGS.
  • B.   The dean's office and ORGS will not receive any share of the overhead returns on these projects.
  • C.   At the end of each fiscal year, all departments will provide their Dean's Office and ORGS with a report on the income from these small, non-governmental contracts. These reports will include the following: date(s) of service, recipient(s) of service, nature of service, amount charged, amount paid, and name of the faculty member. The report will cover the period July 1 to June 30 and must be submitted no later than July 15 of the next fiscal year. ORGS will include this income information in its reports to the Board of Trustees and its annual report.

In order to facilitate record-keeping, each department is encouraged to deposit the funds from these projects into a single 4-account which is maintained by the department.


*If one is uncertain whether there is a conflict of interest, one should consult the Vice President for Research and Dean of Graduate Studies in the Office of Research and Graduate Studies (774-6777) who will make the determination.