Working Safely in the Lab, Shop, or Studio During COVID-19
This page is meant to give you helpful resources as you evaluate the status of your on-campus laboratory, current chemical inventories, hazardous waste, current lab work, any suspended work, and work already completed. If your lab has hazardous waste present, the hazardous waste pick-up process remains in place. Any student research projects remaining in the labs, shops, and studios after the end of the semester should be handled appropriately.
In addition to following the CMU Fired Up for Spring requirements, the following documents will assist you in maintaining a safe lab/shop/studio work space.
- Guidance for Laboratory, Shop, and Studio Research (11-December-2020) This document outlines the expectations of researchers set forth by CMU.
- Suspending Operations in Labs-Studios-Shops on Campus (11-December-2020). This document provides useful suggestions to safely leave your laboratory for an extended period of time.
- Lab, Shop, and Studio Re-opening Checklist (11-December-2020) This checklist provides guidance to researchers in the development of research resumption plans.
- Field Research (11-December-2020) This guidance is meant to assist researchers in their field safety plan development with COVID-19 mandates in place.
- Disinfection Guidance (29-May-2020) This guidance outlines the requirements for documented disinfection of workspaces.
- E23 SOP (29-May-2020) E23 is an approved disinfectant provided by custodians.
As a supplement to University Guidelines and ORGS recommendations, a committee of research-active Biology faculty with expertise in microbiology, immunology, and infectious disease created the following specific recommendations and documents to aid researchers in developing safe research plans:
- COVID lab instructions template (10-August-2020) Example guidelines for lab personnel.
- COVID SOP template (11-August-2020) Guidance for creating a lab-specific standard operating procedure for addressing COVID.
- COVID checklist template (10-August-2020) Example checklist for lab personnel to reference for COVID safety reminders.