CMU has two laboratory cleanout periods per year to focus on chemical inventory reduction and management. This is a good opportunity to remove excess chemicals and wrap up student research projects. The cleanout period is also a good time to review chemicals that are required by the Chemical Hygiene Plan to have a written Standard Operating Procedure (SOP) in place. Remember to update your inventory records as you add or remove chemicals from your laboratory.
Chemical removal process (during lab cleanout periods only):
1. Segregate chemicals and solutions/reagents for removal. Chemicals should be placed on a cart, in a tub, etc. with a notice for pick-up. For reasons of health and safety, lab personnel should review chemical inventories and eliminate the following:
- Outdated chemicals, solutions, and reagents
- Unlabeled chemical containers
- Corroded chemical containers
- Excess inventory
- Improper storage of toxic gases
- Improper storage of chemicals
- Chemicals no longer in use
2. Go to Hazardous Waste Disposal
, which is located on the Environmental Health & Safety website. Click on "Submit Request" to submit a request for hazardous waste disposal at CMU. Fill out date, name, department, email address, building, room, and state "Need chemicals picked up" in the waste description field (no need to individually type in each chemical). Your chemicals will be picked up directly from your lab. Please make every attempt to label and identify all materials to minimize the amount of unknowns.