Occupational Health Program Participation
Animal Handler Health and Safety Program or "AHHS": All individuals working with animals or with unrestricted facility access must participate in the AHHS Program and shall complete the following steps:
1. Review the risks associated with the anticipated work with the PI or immediate supervisor. Helpful hint for PIs and animal users: Both the AHHS and Chemical Hygiene Plan ("CHP", Laboratory Safety Policy) require a discussion of the potential risks encountered in research. Save time and have a single discussion about the risks of working in the lab and working with animals, then complete the Lab Safety Training Form (found in the Appendix I of the Chemical Hygiene Plan).
2. Review animal allergen information sheets (Aquatic Animals, Rodents).
3. Follow the instructions and complete the Self-Directed Risk Assessment.
4. Return the signed Risk Assessment Submission Page to OLFS at email@example.com.
- If you elect to opt out of medical surveillance, participation is complete; however, you must update your risk assessment annually or any time you change labs or your duties/risks change.
- If you elect to opt-in to medical surveillance, you must complete and submit the Initial Medical Questionnaire provided by OLFS to the Central Occupational Medicine Program (COMP) via email to Kristin.Osborne@mclaren.org or deliver in person to COMP. If the health care provider requires additional information or testing, he/she will contact you for an in-person appointment. If it is determined that a respirator is required, OLFS will contact you to arrange fit testing.