Holiday break energy conservation
FM shares tips for conserving campus energy usage
Starting at 5 p.m. Thursday, Dec. 22, the temperature in most buildings, excluding areas of live animal research, greenhouse, SAC and pool areas, Music Building, Park Library, Clarke Historical Library, and other critical climate sensitive areas, will be reduced to 55 degrees. Facilities Management will maintain limited staffing on campus to monitor facilities, with the main focus on preventing damage from potential freeze-ups. Temperatures will be returned to normal settings by 8 a.m. Tuesday, Jan. 3, 2017.
Before leaving campus for the holiday break, please implement the following to help conserve energy usage:
- Turn off electronics, electrical appliances and lights;
- Make sure faucets are off;
- Close windows and curtains;
- Adjust locally-controlled heating thermostats to 55 degrees or to minimum setting;
- Turn off computers, monitors and exhaust fans; and
- Clear clothing and furniture away from heaters to avoid inadequate heating that may cause freeze-ups and damage.
If you have questions, email Mike Walton, director of energy and utilities.