NOWAK JR, ALBERT
Health Administration Internship Coordinator and Lecturer II
Al Nowak returned to Central Michigan University in August 2014. Previously he spent a total of seven years working in long term care as a Nursing Home Administrator, Recreational Therapist, Quality Improvement Committee Chair and Customer Service Trainer. He has worked as a team member in providing care for individuals including, but not limited to, rehabilitation, palliative care, stroke, pediatrics, traumatic brain injury, spinal cord injuries, dementia, wound care, amputation and aquatic therapy. He led a team of staff to become the 37th home in Michigan, to receive Eden Alternative Certification in 2005. Al also spent time at Lansing Community College working with K-12 relations through a WIRED Grant and served as the Director of Student Life and Ombudsman and Phi Theta Kappa Advisor. He served on many committees including areas of academic, community and diversity. He also served as Chair of the Student Code of Conduct and Title IX hearing boards. During his previous time at CMU, he served as the first internship coordinator and also the Emmons Residence Hall Director and assisted with the growth of the Health Professions Residence College to two floors of students. He also served as an orientation advisor, academic advisor, and CMU Health Care Committee member. "I am happy to have the opportunity to return to CMU and to be a part of the community and CMU traditions. This is a wonderful place to raise a family and be a part of an excellent institution."
Publications & Presentations
- Wilson, A., Chowdhury, S., & Nowak, A. (2021). The as if business internship: An instructional response to extenuating circumstances. Archives of Business Review 9(1). DOI: 10.14738/abr.91.9662.
- Tacconelli, S., DeLellis, N., Ankomah, S., Nowak, A., & Zikos, D. (2020). Health administration graduates: responsibilities expected by Michigan employers. Journal of Health Administration Education, 36(4), 335-348.
- Wilson, A. B. & Nowak, A. P. (2019). Why a health administration internship? Research in Health Sciences 4(3) 142-151. doi:10.22158/rhs.v4n3p142.
- Presenter: Second Annual Assessment Retreat: Internship Strategies to Enhance Student Learning.
- Presenter: Third Annual Assessment Retreat: Internship Strategies to Enhance Student Learning.
- BS, Recreational Therapy and Athletic Training, Grand Valley State University
- MPA, Health Administration, Grand Valley State University
- PhD (pursuing), Educational Leadership, Central Michigan University
- Experiential Learning
- HSC 203WI: Leadership for Health Professions
- HSC 507: Introduction to Health Service Organizations and Systems
- HSC 538WI: Development of Proposals and Reports in Health Administration
- HSC 595: Health Administration Internship