Vice President for Research and Innovation
Dr. David C. Weindorf currently serves as Vice President for Research and Innovation at Central Michigan University. Dr. Weindorf holds a B.S. in Range Management, M.S. in Soil Science (geochemistry minor), and a Ph.D. in Agronomy from Texas Tech University (TTU).
Dr. Weindorf is a Fellow and Presidential Award winner of the Soil Science Society of America, having served as chair of the Pedology section (S-5) in 2016. He is a licensed Texas Professional Geoscientist. He currently serves on the editorial boards of Pedosphere and Geoderma, and on the board of trustees for the Compost Research and Education Foundation.
A Fulbright Scholar, Dr. Weindorf has published >180 peer reviewed research papers in top international journals germane to soil/water/compost science, environmental quality assessment, and international, translational soil taxonomy. Dr. Weindorf’s research team provided emergency response to the Deepwater Horizon oil spill and Gold King Mine spill, the latter of which he was called upon to offer testimony to the US Senate.
Holder of two awarded patents, Dr. Weindorf is widely considered an international authority in proximal sensor characterization of soil, having authored multiple methods papers for successful proximal sensor use. He is Executive Producer of the acclaimed documentary film “Between Earth and Sky – Climate Change on the Last Frontier.” Previously, Dr. Weindorf served as Associate Vice President of Research at TTU, Associate Dean of Research and BL Allen Endowed Chair of Pedology in the College of Agricultural Sciences and Natural Resources (TTU), and Associate Professor and Assistant Professor of Soil Classification/Land Use at Louisiana State University (LSU). Prior to that, he was an Assistant Professor of Soil Science at Tarleton State University. In addition, he served as coach of the intercollegiate soils judging teams at Tarleton State, LSU, and TTU.
More About DAVID WEINDORF
Publications & Presentations
- Dasgupta, S., S. Chakraborty, D.C. Weindorf, B. Li, S.H.G. Silva, and K. Bhattacharyya. 2022. Influence of auxiliary soil variables to improve PXRF-based soil fertility evaluation in India. Geoderma Regional 30, e00557. DOI:10.1016/j.geodrs.2022.e00557.
- Swetha, R.K., S. Dasgupta, S. Chakraborty, B. Li, D.C. Weindorf, M. Mancini, S.H.G. Silva, B.T. Ribeiro, N. Curi, and D.P. Ray. 2022. Using Nix color sensor and Munsell soil color variables to classify contrasting soil types and predict soil organic carbon in Eastern India. Computers and Electronics in Agriculture 199, 107192. DOI:10.1016/j.compag.2022.107192.
- Teixeira, A.F.S., R., Andrade, M. Mancini, S.H.G. Silva, D.C. Weindorf, S. Chakraborty, L.R.G. Guilherme, N. Curi. 2022. Proximal sensor data fusion for tropical soil property prediction: Soil fertility properties. Journal of South American Earth Sciences 116, 103873. DOI:10.1016/j.jsames.2022.103873.
- Andrade, R., M. Mancini, A.F.S. Teixeira, S.H.G. Silva, D.C. Weindorf, S. Chakraborty, L.R.G. Guilherme, N. Curi. 2022. Proximal sensor data fusion and auxiliary information for tropical soil property prediction: Soil Texture. Geoderma 115936 DOI:10.1016/j.geoderma.2022.115936.
- Riddle, R., M.G. Siebecker, D.C. Weindorf, R.K. Shaw, and B.C. Scharenbroch. 2022. Soils in urban and built environments: Pedogenic processes, characteristics, mapping, and classification. Advances in Agronomy 173 DOI:10.1016/bs.agron.2022.02.004.
- Borges, C.S., R.A. Vega, S. Chakraborty, D.C. Weindorf, G. Lopes, L.R.G. Guilherme, N. Curi, B. Li, and B.T. Ribeiro. 2022. Pocket-sized sensor to assess the color of plant leaves. Journal of Plant Physiology 272, 153686. DOI:10.1016/j.jplph.2022.153686.
- Divyanth, L.G., S. Chakraborty, B. Li, D.C. Weindorf, P. Deb, and C.J. Gem. 2022. Non-destructive prediction of nicotine content in tobacco using hyperspectral image-derived spectra and machine learning. Journal of Biosystems Engineering DOI:10.1007/s42853-022-00134-0.
- Silva, F.M., S.H.G. Silva, A.F.S. Teixeira, A.V. Inda, T. Fruett, D.C. Weindorf, L.R.G. Guilherme, and N. Curi. 2022. Using proximal sensors to assess pedogenetic development of Inceptisols and Oxisols in Brazil. Geoderma Regional 28, e00465. DOI:10.1016/j.geodrs.2021.e00465.
- Faria, A.J.G., S.H.G. Silva, R. Andrade, M. Mancini, L.C.A. Melo, D.C. Weindorf, L.R.G. Guilherme, and N. Curi. 2022. Prediction of soil organic matter content by combining data from Nix ProTM color sensor and portable X-ray fluorescence spectrometry in tropical soils. Geoderma Regional 28, e00461. DOI:10.1016/j.geodrs.2021.e00461.
- Pham, V., D.C. Weindorf, and T. Dang. 2021. Soil profile analysis using interactive visualizations, machine learning and deep learning. Computers and Electronics in Agriculture 191, 106539. DOI: 10.1016/j.compag.2021.106539.
- Ribeiro, B.T., D.C. Weindorf, C.S. Borges, L.R.G. Guilherme, and N. Curi. 2021. Foliar analysis via portable X-ray fluorescence spectrometry: Experimental considerations. Spectrochimica Acta Part B: Atomic Spectroscopy 186, 106320. DOI:10.1016/j.sab.2021.106320.
- Andrade, R., S.H.G. Silva, D.C. Weindorf, S. Chakraborty, W.M. Faria, L.R.G. Guilherme, and N. Curi. 2021. Micronutrients prediction via pXRF spectrometry in Brazil: Influence of weathering degree. Geoderma Regional 27, e00431. DOI:10.1016/j.geodrs.2021.e00431.
- Li, B., S. Chakraborty, D.C. Weindorf, and Q. Yu. 2021. Data integration using model-based boosting. SN Computer Science 2:400. DOI:10.1007/s42979-021-00797-0.
- Li, B., B.D. Marx, S. Chakraborty, and D.C. Weindorf. 2021. Multivariate calibration on heterogeneous samples. Chemometrics and Intelligent Laboratory Systems 217, 104386. DOI:10.1016/j.chemolab.2021.104386.
- Jiang, Z.D., P.R. Owens, C.L. Zhang, K.R. Brye, D.C. Weindorf, K. Adhikari, Z.X. Sun, F.J. Sun, and Q.B. Wang. 2021. Towards a dynamic soil survey: Identifying and delineating soil horizons in-situ using deep learning. Geoderma 115341. DOI: 10.1016/j.geoderma.2021.115341.
- Gorthi, S., R.K. Swetha, S. Chakraborty, B. Li, D.C. Weindorf, S. Dutta, H. Banerjee, K. Das, and K. Majumdar. 2021. Soil organic matter prediction using smartphone-captured digital images: Use of reflectance image and image perturbation. Biosystems Engineering 209:154-169. DOI:10.1016/j.biosystemseng.2021.06.018.
- Sun, Y., W. Guo, D.C. Weindorf, F. Sun, S. Deb, G. Cao, J. Neupane, Z. Lin, and A. Raihan. 2021. Field-scale spatial variability of soil calcium in a semi-arid region: Implications for soil erosion and site-specific management. Pedosphere 31(5):705-714. DOI:10.1016/S1002-0160(21)60019-X.
- Kagiliery, J., S. Chakraborty, B. Li, M. Hull, and D.C. Weindorf. 2021. Portable X-ray fluorescence analysis of water: Thin film and water thickness considerations. International Journal of Environmental Quality 45:27-41. DOI:10.6092/issn.2281-4485/12991.
- Pelegrino, M.H.P., S.H.G. Silva, A.J.G. de Faria, M. Mancini, A.F.S. Teixeira, S. Chakraborty, D.C. Weindorf, L.R.G. Guilherme, and N. Curi. 2021. Prediction of soil nutrient content via pXRF spectrometry and its spatial variation in a highly variable tropical area. Precision Agriculture DOI:10.1007/s11119-021-09825-8.
- Slaughter, L., S. Deb, S. Chakraborty, B. Li, N. Bakr, B. Edwards, and D. Weindorf. 2021. On-farm evaluation of regenerative land-use practices in a semi-arid pasture agroecosystem in West Texas, USA. Revista Brasileira de Ciência do Solo 45:e0200163. DOI:10.36783/18069657rbcs20200163.
- Văcar, C.L., E. Covaci, S. Chakraborty, B. Li, D.C. Weindorf, T. Frențiu, M. Pârvu, and D. Podar. 2021. Heavy metal-resistant filamentous fungi as potential mercury bioremediators. Journal of Fungi 7, 386. DOI:10.3390/jof7050386.
- Silva, S.H.G., B.T. Ribeiro, M.B.B. Guerra, H.W.P. de Carvalho, G. Lopes, G.S. Carvalho, L.R.G. Guilherme, M. Resende, M. Mancini, N. Curi, R.B.A. Rafael, V. Cardelli, S. Cocco, G. Corti, S. Chakraborty, B. Li and D.C. Weindorf. 2021. PXRF in tropical soils: Methodology, applications, achievements and challenges. Advances in Agronomy 167. DOI:10.1016/bs.agron.2020.12.001.
- Teixeira, A.F.S., S.H.G. Silva, D.C. Weindorf, S. Chakraborty, T. Carvalho, A.O. Silva, A.A. Guimarães, and F.M.S. Moreira. 2021. Microbiological indicators of soil quality predicted via proximal and remote sensing. European Journal of Soil Biology 104, 103315. DOI:10.1016/j.ejsobi.2021.103315.
- Jha, G., S. Mukhopadhyay, A.L. Ulery, K. Lombard, S. Chakraborty, D.C. Weindorf, D. VanLeeuwen, and C. Brungard. 2021. Agricultural soils of the Animas River watershed after the Gold King Mine spill: An elemental spatiotemporal analysis via portable X-ray fluorescence spectroscopy. Journal of Environmental Quality DOI:10.1002/jeq2.20209.
- Ferreira, G.W.D., B.T. Ribeiro, D.C. Weindorf, B.I. Teixeira, S. Chakraborty, B. Li, L.R.G. Guilherme, and J.R.S. Scolforo. 2021. Assessment of iron-rich tailings via portable X-ray fluorescence spectrometry: The Mariana dam disaster, southeast Brazil. Environmental Monitoring and Assessment 193, 203. DOI:10.1007/s10661-021-08982-7.
- Silva, S.H.G., D.C. Weindorf, W.M. Faria, L.C. Pinto, M.D. Menezes, L.R.G. Guilherme, and N. Curi. 2021. Proximal sensor-enhanced soil mapping in complex soil-landscape areas of Brazil. Pedosphere 31(4):615-626. DOI:10.1016/S1002-0160(21)60007-3.
- Zimmerman, A.J., D.G. Guitierrez, V.M. Campos, D.C. Weindorf, S.K. Deb, S.U. Chacón, G. Landrot, N.G.G. Flores, and M.G. Siebecker. 2021. Arsenic speciation in titanium dioxide (TiO2) waste produced via drinking water filtration: Potential environmental implications for soils, sediments, and human health. Environmental Advances 3, 100036 DOI:10.1016/j.envadv.2021.100036.
- Zhang, W., J. Sheng, Z. Li, D.C. Weindorf, G. Hu, J. Xuan, and H. Zhao. 2021. Integrating rainwater harvesting and drip irrigation for water use efficiency improvements in apple orchards of northwest China. Scientia Horticulturae 275, 109728.
Credentials, Certifications & Awards
- Fulbright Specialist at the Indian Institute of Technology – Kharagpur (2018)
- TTU International Impact Award (2017)
- Soil Science Society of America (SSSA) Fellow (2017)
- SSSA President's Award (2017)
- TTU Faculty International Scholarship Award (2015)
- USDA-NRCS National Cooperative Soil Survey's Eagle Award (2012)
- LSU Gamma Sigma Delta's Agricultural Teacher Honor Role (2011)
- Fulbright Scholar at Universitatea de Ştiinţe Agricole şi Medicină Veterinară in Cluj-Napoca, Romania (2011)
- Sedberry Award for Outstanding Graduate Teacher in the LSU College of Agriculture (2010)
- LSU Gamma Sigma Delta's Teaching Award of Merit (2010)
- Dr. Weindorf holds a B.S. in Range Management, M.S. in Soil Science (geochemistry minor), and Ph.D. in Agronomy from Texas Tech University (TTU).
Current Licenses/Certifications Held
- Curriculum Vita
- Video: A Day in the Life of Scientist David Weindorf - soil scientist and agronomist
- Video: Bringing the Lab to the Field. Dr. David Weindorf explains how the portable x-ray fluorescence spectrometer (PXRF) and the visible near-infrared spectroscope (VisNIR) work
- Video: Soil Science in Seconds
- Video: Hub City Spokes - David Weindorf with TTU Department of Plant & Soil Science
- Video: Professor Weindorf Discusses the Benefits of Handheld XRF for Environmental Assessments
- Video: Between Earth and Sky – Climate Change on the Last Frontier