Although English learners continue to be the fastest-growing segment of the school-aged population, there is a critical shortage of teachers prepared to meet their needs. Accredited by the Michigan Department of Education, CMU's English as a Second Language (ESL) Minor and ESL Second Degree are highly-marketable degrees that prepare you to attain either an elementary or secondary ESL endorsement.
- The ESL Minor for students currently working on a B.S. in education.
- The ESL Second Degree for persons who already have a B.S. in education (usually in-service teachers).
Why This Program & What You'll Learn
Highly qualified ESL teachers are in great demand throughout Michigan and the United States. A minor in this high-growth field prepares you to provide language support and instruction to English Learners in grades K through 12.
The program provides a strong foundation in ESL teaching methods, standards and assessments. From second language acquisition to how to design teaching materials and lesson plans, you’ll dive deep into the building blocks of a critical subject.
When you graduate, you’ll be ready to:
- Work with diverse student populations with varying levels of English language proficiency.
- Understand the cultural basis of language and language learning.
- Design appropriate curriculum and materials for English learners.
In addition to required courses, the minor requires two semesters (or the equivalent) of college-level experience in learning a foreign language. To attain a State of Michigan ESL teaching endorsement, candidates must also pass the English as a Second Language (086) Michigan Test for Teacher Certification (MTTC).
As an ESL minor or second-degree student, you can:
- Apply to be an ESL Minor Ambassador to help promote the program while gaining valuable professional development experiences.
- Become World-Class Instructional Design and Assessment (WIDA)-certified.
Careers & Outcomes
This minor, paired with a B.S. in education, prepares you to teach in English as a Second Language (ESL) in the state of Michigan’s K-12 school system.
|Middle/High School Teacher||$45,759|
|Elementary School Teacher||$44,779|
|Curriculum and Instructional Designer/Developer||$62,073|