Frequently Asked Questions

You might find the answers to your questions here.  If not, contact the Veterans' Resource Center at (989) 774-7991 or

​How do I apply for VA Benefits?

How do I Transfer Education Benefits (TEB)?

How do I apply for VA Benefits?

Visit the Department of Veterans Affairs website at to apply for educational benefits.  If you are unsure what VA education benefit you are eligible for, you may contact the VA at 1-888-442-4551.

For more information on using VA education benefits, please visit the Veterans' Resource website at:

Back to top

Why cannot the CMU Veterans' Resource Center tell me what is my VA education benefit eligibility?

Unfortunately, CMU does not have access to one's eligibility information because of privacy laws, the VA limits who may be able to see your military and VA records.

Back to top

Will I be paid housing allowance (GI Bill benefits) when I am not enrolled?

No, the VA will only pay you when you are enrolled.  For example, if you have a two week break between classes, you will not be paid during the break.

Back to top

What if I have less than 100% Chapter 33 Post 9/11 coverage?

Those students whose benefit entitlement is less than 100%, must pay their portion of their tuition and fees prior to the billing due date that is listed on their billing letter.  For example, a Chapter 33 Post 9/11 GI Bill recipient with 80% entitlement must calculate the amount of their 20% responsibility and pay that amount prior to their billing due date.

What transcripts must I provide to CMU?

In order to use VA education benefits or military Tuition Assistance (i.e. ArmyIgnitED (formerly (GoArmyEd), Air Force TA), all transcripts from previous institutions, to include military transcripts must be provided to CMU.

How to order military transcripts:

Back to top

What programs at CMU are approved for VA benefits?

All degree programs at CMU are approved for VA education benefits.  If you have questions regarding what certificates are approved for VA education benefits, you may contact the Veterans' Resource Center at or 989-774-7991.

Back to top

How far in advance may a student register in ArmyIgnitED (formerly GoArmyEd)?

No more than 8 weeks (60 days) in advance and no less than 1 day in advance.

  1. Air Force is no less than 7 days in advance;
  2. Navy is no less than 14 days in advance;
  3. Coast Guard is no less than 16 days in advance;
  4. Marines is no less than 1 day in advance.

Back to top

What is the My Career Advancement Account (MyCAA) scholarship program?

MyCAA is a workforce development program that provides up to $4,000 of financial assistance to eligible military spouses who are pursuing a license, certification or Associate's degree in a portable career field and occupation.

For more information on MyCAA, see the following link:

Back to top

What is Michigan National Guard State Tuition Assistance Program MINGSTAP?

Public Act 259 of 2014 established the Michigan National Guard State Tuition Assistance Program (MINGSTAP) to provide tuition assistance to members of the Michigan National Guard who are attending any public or private college, university, vocational school, technical school or trade school located in Michigan.  For more information about the program, please call 517-481-7640 or email

o    Up to $600 per credit hour

o    Up to $14,400 per year (tuition and fees combined)

MINGSTAP is available to members of the Michigan National Guard who (1) are active in the National Guard (including the traditional service of one weekend/month and two weeks/year; (2) are not absent without leave or under UCMJ charges; and (3) meet the additional criteria established by the TAG consistent with the guard's recruiting and retention requirements.

o    Certificates

o    Vocational Training

o    Technical Training

o    Associate's Degree

o    Bachelor's Degree

o    Master's or first Professional Degree

Back to top

Are veterans and their dependents eligible for the military tuition rate?

No. Only current active duty military, reservist, guard members, their spouses and qualified dependents may receive discounted tuition rates up to 40 percent.

Back to top

Who is eligible for the CMU Veteran Award?

Consideration for the Central Michigan University Veteran Award is available to honorably discharged veterans from the U.S. Military Service who have regular admission as an undergraduate or graduate in one of CMU's on-campus, off-campus or online standard degree programs.


Please direct any questions regarding this award to the Veterans' Resource Center.

 Back to top