GI Bill® at CMU

​​ Audited Courses

Certification of enrollment for audited courses is prohibited.

Certificates of Eligibility

When education benefits are approved, the VA will mail a Certificate of Eligibility to the student. This certificate is issued only once, and it will indicate the number of months of eligibility. A copy of this notification must be provided to the Veterans' Resource Center by uploading to the Enrollment Certification Request (ECR) form.

Changing Schools

If you are either transferring to or from Central Michigan University and are already receiving your benefits, you must submit a Request for Change of Program or Place of Training to the VRC.

Declaring a Major

All undergraduate students must declare a major by the time they have earned 56 credit hours. Students can declare a major by visiting the Departmental Office of their chosen College.


  • Students called to active duty during a term in which they are receiving VA Educational Benefits must notify the VRC and provide a copy of their orders.
  • If the activation is for a short period of time, you may be eligible to take advantage of the CMU Short-Term Military Service Policy
  • If the activation is for an extended period, the School Certifying Official (SCO) will report the date of their withdrawal from school to the VA and indicate the reason as "Called to Active Duty.”

Drop Period

For VA purposes, the drop period is a reasonable time at the beginning of a term officially designated by the school for dropping courses, providing it does not exceed 30 days from the first day of the term.

Dropping a Course

If you drop a course during the semester/term, the VA may consider the drop retroactive to the start of the semester/course. Dropping a class may change your enrollment status and lead to an overpayment situation. All drops must be reported directly to your School Certifying Official (SCO).

Failing Grades (E and NC)

The School Certifying Official (SCO) is required to contact the instructor of any course in which a failing grade was received. If the instructor can verify that the final exam was taken, no repayment to the VA will be expected. If the final exam was not taken, the VA may require repayment of benefits retroactive to the first day of class.


Students receiving GI Bill benefits must receive punitive grades in their courses.

  • Punitive Grade - is used in determining a student's progress toward completion of graduation requirements, and is a factor in computing grade point average. Punitive grades include: A, A-, B+, B, B-, C+, C, C-, D+, D, D-, and E.
  • Non-punitive Grade - excludes the course from any consideration in determining progress toward fulfillment of graduation requirements. Students may be charged with an overpayment for courses in which a non-punitive grade is received. Non-punitive grades include: I, NC, W, and Z.

Incomplete and Deferred Grades (I and Z)

Incomplete and deferred grades must be removed and a regular grade received for that course(s) within one calendar year from the date of receipt.

  • Incomplete and deferred grades are not counted in determining a student's enrollment status for certification of eligibility for future enrollments.
  • Incomplete and deferred grades will be reported to the VA which can lead to an overpayment situation.

Program of Study

  • CMU requires on-campus undergraduate students to declare a major when 56 hourse are earned, and submit an academic audit when 86 hours are earned.
  • CMU requires Global Campus undergraduate students to have a program plan in place when the student has earned 56 hours.
  • Only courses/credits that apply toward completion of the student's program can be certified to VA. Prior to declaring a major (undergraduate students) only General Education courses can be certified.  Failure to comply with this requirement will prevent enrollment certification for future semesters

Repeating a Course

Only courses that are failed or for which the grade does not meet minimum requirements for graduation may be certified with the VA if they are repeated.

Satisfactory Academic Progress

All students receiving VA education benefits are required to maintain satisfactory academic progress according to published standards established and enforced by the University.

Self-Verification of Enrollment

  • Chapter 30, 1606 and 1607 students must verify their enrollment monthly, on the last day of the month; payments from the VA will not be sent until this is done.  Monthly verification is not required for Chapters 33 or 35. 
  • Verify Online (preferred) through Web Automated Verification of Enrollment (WAVE). Students must be currently enrolled in an approved educational program and must have a current benefit award to use WAVE.
  • Verify by Interactive Voice Response (IVR) at 877-823-2378.

School Certifying Official (SCO)

Depending on the location of your class, enrollment may be certified by different officials:

  • Courses offered in Michigan or online will be processed by the Veterans’ Resource Center.
  • Courses offered outside the state of Michigan will be certified by the student’s CMU Off-Campus Center.

Short-Term (or Non-Standard Term) Courses

The VA requires CMU to report the actual beginning and ending dates of each course; your benefit amount may vary throughout the semester depending on the start and end dates of your courses. To view the CMU course measurement chart, click here​.


Dropping a class may change your enrollment status and lead to an overpayment situation. All withdrawals must be reported directly to your SCO.

GI Bill® is a registered trademark of the United States Department of Veterans Affairs (VA)