Five Steps to Utilizing VA Educational Benefits at Central Michigan University

​​​​​​​​​Step-by-step guide to utilizing VA educational benefits at CMU

___ 1. Apply to CMU (
If applicable, when applying to CMU, also request your Joint Services transcript or Community College of the Air Force​ transcript for evaluation by the academic advisors. Veterans: Attach a copy of your DD-214 to your application.

___ 2. Apply for VA Educational Benefits
Visit the Department of Veterans Affairs website at​ to apply for educational benefits. Attach a screenshot of the confirmation and summary page to a blank Enrollment Certification Request (ECR) form at

___ 3. Present Proof of Eligibility for VA Educational Benefits to the VRC
The VA will mail a Certificate of Eligibility to you when you are approved for educational benefits. Attach a copy of the Certificate of Eligibility to your online Enrollment Certification Request.

___ 4. Students Transferring from another College or University
Students Transferring from another College or University need to complete a Request for Change in Program or Place for Training form. Attach a copy of the form to your Enrollment Certification Request.

___ 5. Register for Classes and Request Certification from the VRC Staff
After registering for classes with CMU, submit an Enrollment Certification Request (ECR)​ form that allows CMU to process your educational benefits through the VA. Access the form at:​

Link to USDVA for Benefit Descriptions: