CMU announces 2021 spring semester schedule
Calendar adjusted to protect against spread of COVID-19
Central Michigan University will continue to be vigilant against the spread of COVID-19 as it remains committed to on-campus learning for the spring 2021 semester.
"COVID-19 will still be with us next year," said Mary C. Schutten, executive vice president and provost. "CMU needs to continue being proactive to maintain our success in slowing its spread."
Here are details for the semester, which begins in January:
- The first week of classes, Jan. 11-15, will be fully online.
- Courses shift to meet in person, online or in a hybrid-flexible — or HyFlex — format beginning the week of Jan. 18.
- Instead of a weeklong spring break, five "wellness days" of no classes will be added to the calendar over the course of the semester. The traditional Gentle Thursday and Friday also will be rescheduled within the semester. The intent is to provide time away from normal class day experiences as well as to reduce widespread travel and the accompanying risk of exposure and spread of COVID-19.
- The spring semester ends with exams May 3-7.
- Study Abroad experiences are canceled for the semester.
Schutten said decisions about the spring calendar were collaborative and determined based on input from student groups, faculty leadership, the university's Emergency Management Team, President Bob Davies and the president's cabinet. CMU also will continue to follow guidance from its own medical authorities, regional and state public health agencies, and the U.S. Centers for Disease Control and Prevention.
"Our plans for spring align with our top goals during this pandemic: Keep CMU safe and healthy, open and operational, and prevent the spread of the COVID-19 virus," she said.
Current students may register at any time through CentralLink for spring 2021 as part of multi-semester course search and registration. Information available before Nov. 9 on spring courses is subject to changes to update the modalities and other course information.
Further information about the semester and beyond will be shared as it becomes available.