CMU offers two options for on-campus flu shots
Pop-up clinic on Tuesday, Oct. 26 with walk-ins welcome now
Central Michigan University students, faculty and staff are highly encouraged to vaccinate against the flu to prevent a second communicable disease from spreading during the COVID-19 pandemic.
CMU is offering two ways to get a flu shot on campus in October.
"Vaccination will prevent severe cases of influenza," said Dr. George E. Kikano, CMU vice president for health affairs and dean of the College of Medicine. "We want our campus community to stay well, and by reducing flu cases, we can alleviate some pressure on a health care system already stressed by a pandemic."
Kikano said behaviors to slow the spread of COVID-19 also apply to the flu.
"The flu vaccine combined with COVID-19 preventive guidelines ― hand washing, wearing masks, covering coughs and sneezes, and continuing to socially distance ― should result in fewer incidents of flu," he said.
Here are details of flu shot availability on campus:
CMU Student Health Services
- Flu shots for students, faculty and staff are available at CMU Student Health Services, Foust Hall, Room 220 (second floor).
- Hours are 8 a.m.-11:30 a.m. and 1-4:30 p.m. Monday through Friday. Walk-ins are welcome. Appointments are not needed.
- While most insurance plans cover the flu shot, please check with your insurance carrier. For faculty and staff, Blue Cross Blue Shield insurance through CMU covers the flu shot with no out-of-pocket cost.
- For questions or to make an appointment, call 989-774-6599.
Alana's Foundation one-day, pop-up clinic
- Alana's Foundation will sponsor a one-day flu shot clinic at the Bovee University Center Rotunda, 103 E. Preston, Mount Pleasant, from 8 a.m.-6 p.m. Tuesday, Oct. 26.
- The Alana's Foundation clinic is open to students, faculty, staff and the public.
- To ensure adequate vaccine supply, preregistration is highly recommended. Register here: https://flu.vna.org, clinic ID: 1170, passcode: RNZH5Yd.
- Please bring a copy of your insurance card. If you are uninsured or underinsured, Alana's Foundation will subsidize the cost of your vaccine.
- All attendees must complete an online consent form, available at https://flu.vna.org, clinic ID: 1170, passcode: RNZH5Yd. Children under age 17 must have their consent form completed and signed by a parent or guardian.
- Face masks are required of all participants.
- The clinic is sponsored by Alana's Foundation and staffed by the Michigan Community Visiting Nurses Association.
- Please contact email@example.com with questions regarding the one-day flu shot clinic.