The new associate dean for Central Michigan University’s College of the Arts and Media has been chosen from CMU’s Department of Art and Design.
Jonathon Russell begins his new role Jan. 6. He has been serving as chair of the department since August 2016 and has been an associate professor of graphic design at Central since 2008.
Before coming to CMU, Russell earned a Master of Fine Arts degree in graphic design from Fort Hays State University in Hays, Kansas, in 2005. That same year, he was made an assistant professor of graphic design at Zayed University in Abu Dhabi, United Arab Emirates.
Russell earned a Bachelor of Fine Arts degree in visual communication with a minor in art history from Southern Illinois University Carbondale in 2003.
He was among three finalists for the position.
The search was announced in June by Dean Janet Hethorn. Pete Vermeire, associate dean of the College of Science and Engineering, was chair of the committee. Other members were:
- Sean Baker, faculty, journalism.
- Steven Berglund, chair, theatre and dance.
- Linda Binkley, faculty, School of Music.
- Elizabeth Carlson, faculty, communication.
- Jon Humiston, executive assistant to the provost.
- Eric Limarenko, faculty, School of Broadcast and Cinematic Arts.
- Johanna Paas, faculty, art and design.
- Kristen Skiver, human resources representative.
- Sandra Wilson, manager of business operations, College of the Arts and Media.