Updates to Central Michigan University's Central Alert emergency system include a campus safety app for students and employees.
The app, called Rave Guardian, enables users to:
- Instantly text CMU Police to report an incident or request help, with a photo or location as needed.
- Initiate text chats with CMU Police or the Office of Civil Rights and Institutional Equity.
- Dial 911 or the CMU Police nonemergency number with the touch of a button.
- Receive and manage Central Alerts based on location.
- Access maps, CMU social media accounts and more through a content portal.
- Find assistance and resources with a directory of important CMU contacts.
It also includes a safety timer feature that can virtually escort users as they move around campus. Users can choose to have friends and family monitor their travel and ensure they reach their destinations safely.
The app, from Rave Mobile Safety, is available through the App Store for Apple devices or Google Play for Android. Anyone with a CMU global ID can download a version customized for CMU.
CMU Police Lt. Mike Sienkiewicz said the police department researched a safety app in response to input from students and a recommendation from CMU's Title IX Advisory Board.
"Safety of our campus community is our No. 1 priority, and it is critical that we continue to utilize technology in our efforts," Sienkiewicz said. "Our hope is that our students and employees utilize this app to establish a two-way connection with campus safety resources."
Sienkiewicz said that besides availability of the app, users will not notice much difference with this latest update of the Central Alert system. Here's more about the system:
- Central Alert calls will still come from 989-774-1500. Texts will come from a different shortcode than previous alerts.
- Existing contact information is moving to the new system, requiring no action from individuals, including new CMU students and employees. Users can update contact information under the "My Account" tab at cmich.edu/centralalert.
- Automated text and email weather alerts for campus will be sent for tornado warnings and flash flood warnings. Users can set alert preferences for weather watches and advisories at cmich.edu/centralalert.
- Vendors, contractors and guests can opt in to Central Alert for short- or long-term campus visits.