Types of Admission
When you are admitted to graduate studies at CMU, you are admitted through one of five categories. Here's an explanation of what those categories mean. If you’re not sure which type of admission applies to you, please email us at email@example.com.
International students are not typically considered for non-degree or concurrent admission.
If you meet all university and program requirements for admission and are selected by faculty for admission into our graduate programs, you qualify for regular admission.
Regular admission with stipulations
If the faculty think you will succeed in a graduate program even though you may not meet all the requirements for regular admission, you may be admitted with stipulations. In this case, you will have to meet specific requirements in order to gain regular admission, such as:
- Completion of undergraduate prerequisites.
- Demonstration of English language proficiency.
- Successful completion of graduate coursework.
If you want to earn a degree or graduate certificate, you need to obtain regular admission status.
You may be granted non-degree status if you are not admitted into a specific graduate program. You should apply for non-degree status if you:
- Are undecided about your program.
- Are not interested in earning a graduate certificate or degree.
- Do not meet the specific requirements of a program.
You will need to apply for regular admission at a later date if you want your graduate coursework to count toward a graduate certificate or degree.
Provisional admission means that you have been admitted to a graduate program before completing your baccalaureate degree. Once you submit your final undergraduate transcript including your bachelor's degree, your admission status will be reassessed.
Concurrent admission allows you to begin graduate coursework while completing your baccalaureate degree if you meet the following conditions:
- You are in your final semester of undergraduate studies.
- You have 12 or fewer undergraduate credits left for your degree.
- You have an acceptable undergraduate grade point average.
Refer to the Concurrent Process Guide for details.
Our accelerated graduate degree programs allow qualifying CMU undergraduates to apply undergraduate courses toward a graduate degree. To qualify, you need to:
- Have a strong academic background.
- Plan to complete your graduate degree at CMU.
Refer to the Accelerated Graduate Program page for details.
Questions about types of graduate admission at CMU? Email firstname.lastname@example.org or call us at 989-774-4444, ext. 2.