Skip to main content

Cost of Attendance - International Students

At Central Michigan University, we believe a life-changing education should be accessible to all. As an international student here, you’ll find a great education at a reasonable cost.

Students may receive a Graduate Assistantship or qualify for the scholarships available. However, United States financial aid through CMU is not available to international students.

Cost of Attendance

The United States government requires that Central Michigan University obtains verification of financial support from all students requesting Certificates of Eligibility (I-20s). F-1 students are required to take a full-time course load each fall and spring semester (12 credits for undergraduate and 9 credits for master’s, MBA, doctorate).

The table below provides the estimated minimum cost of living in the U.S. and studying at Central Michigan University for 9 months (one academic year). These estimates do not include the cost of living and studying in the summer; if you plan to remain in the U.S. during the summer, you will need to ensure that you have additional funds for tuition and fees, living expenses, and miscellaneous expenses.

The figures below are an estimate for costs like tuition, fees, books, living expenses, and required health insurance for academic year 2023-2024:

Estimated Expenses 2023-2024 Academic Year

Tuition & Fees*$20,250$17,676
Housing & Food$12,150$8,900$8,900$8,900$8,900
Miscellaneous Expenses (includes books, incidentals, and personal expenses)$3,500$3,500$3,500$3,500$3,500
Health Insurance$1,550$1,550$1,550$1,550$1,550

*Based on a 24-credit-hour per year load (Undergraduate) and 18-credit-hour per year load (master’s, MBA, doctorate)
The international rate applies to students who are not eligible for the U.S. resident tuition rates, as outlined by the
CMU Resident Status Policy.
Note: The president may vary these tuition rates according to cohorts, markets, programs, locations, or terms of contracts.

For more details about tuition and fees, please see our main Tuition and Fees page.

Dependents: You must submit proof of additional funds in the amount of $5,000 for each dependent spouse and $2,500 for each dependent (minor) child who will accompany you to the U.S.