Apply as an International Undergraduate Student

International undergraduate admissions requirements

  1. High school graduate: If you are currently in high school, we just need to see your 9-11 (or equivalent) grade transcripts for an admission decision. However, you must graduate from an approved high school (or equivalent) prior to starting classes at CMU.
  2. English proficient: Our courses are taught in English. To ensure your success at CMU, you must provide proof of proficiency in English. See our list of accepted proof and scores. Test scores are valid for two years from the date you take the test. You may not have to prove English proficiency if you are from an English-speaking country.
  3. Official transcripts: Submit official transcripts from your high school. If you have college credits, also submit transcripts from all colleges or universities you have attended. Transfer students with 12 or more post-secondary credits do not have to include their secondary school transcripts.

Preferred admissions deadline

To make sure you have enough time to get all your paperwork completed, we suggest applying several months in advance. If you are beginning classes in the fall semester (late August), apply by May 15. To begin classes in the spring semester (early January), apply by October 1

Acceptance rate 

Our acceptance rate for Fall Semester 2023 was 52.8% for international undergraduate freshmen and 58.1% for international undergraduate transfer students.

How to apply as a first-time or transfer undergraduate student

Step 1: Submit your application and application fee

Complete your online application for undergraduate admission to Central Michigan University. You may also apply using the Common App. Pay your non-refundable $55 application fee. Pay your fee by:

  • Credit card at the end of the online application. 
  • Check or money order payable to Central Michigan University and written from a U.S. bank.

Step 2: Send official transcripts and examination results

First-time college students: Submit official transcripts from all secondary schools you have attended.

Transfer students (anyone who has earned post-secondary credits): Submit official transcripts from all secondary and post-secondary schools you have attended.

Transfer applicants with 12 or more transferable credit hours are not required to submit secondary school transcripts. The 12 or more credits must be from a regionally accredited college or university or recognized international university, including completed CMU credits.

All records must include courses completed, grades or marks earned and certificates or degrees awarded. Include certified English translations of all documents not issued in English.

Your schools must seal all official transcripts in envelopes. Do not open these envelopes before sending them to CMU.  Place the sealed envelopes in a package and mail to:

Central Michigan University
Attn: International Applications Processing
802 Industrial Drive, Global North
Mount Pleasant, MI 48858 USA

Your schools may send transcripts as official electronic copies. They must come directly from the school and NOT from a personal email address. Send electronic copies to

Step 3: Provide proof of English proficiency

If English is not your country’s primary language, you must demonstrate English proficiency. View our complete information on types of proof accepted by CMU and the following list of countries where English proficiency proof is waived.

TOEFL Exempt Countries

A - B

C - F

G - K

L - N P - S T - Z

  • Anguilla
  • Antigua and Barbuda
  • Australia
  • Bahamas
  • Barbados
  • Belize
  • Bermuda
  • Botswana
  • British Indian Ocean Territory
  • Brunei Darussalam

  • Canada
  • Cayman Islands
  • Christmas Islands
  • Cook Islands
  • Dominica
  • Ethiopia
  • Falkland Islands
  • Fiji

    • Gambia
    • Ghana
    • Gibraltar
    • Grenada
    • Guam
    • Guyana
    • Ireland, Republic of
    • Jamaica
    • Kenya
    • Kiribati

      • Lesotho
      • Liberia
      • Malawi
      • Malta
      • Mauritius
      • Micronesia
      • Montserrat
      • Nambia
      • New Zealand
      • Nigeria
      • Norfolk Island


      • Papua New Guinea
      • Philippines
      • Samoa, American
      • Samoa, Western
      • Sierra Leone
      • Singapore
      • Solomon Islands
      • South Africa
      • St. Helen
      • St. Kitts and Nevis
      • St. Lucia
      • St. Vincent and the Grenadines
      • Swaziland


      • Tanzania
      • Tonga
      • Trinidad and Tobago
      • Uganda
      • United Kingdom and Northern Ireland
      • Vanuatu
      • Virgin Islands, American
      • Virgin Islands, British
      • Zambia
      • Zimbabwe

      Step 4: Check your application status

      Once you have completed all these steps, our international admissions team will review your application. You may log in to your application portal to see if you have any missing items and to review your application status. You'll be notified by email when a decision is made and posted to your portal.

      Why international students should apply early

      It is highly recommended that you apply as soon as possible. 

      • We must receive all your application materials, including all your transcripts, before we can evaluate your application for admission.
      • After the evaluation, you will receive your email notification of admission to CMU.
      • Once you have this notification, you can log in to your CMU international student portal and follow the instructions to complete your I-20 request. It will take time to gather all the information you need.
      • After you receive your I-20, you can apply for your international student visa which is required for you to attend CMU. Your visa application includes an in-person interview that must be scheduled with officials in your country.

      Do you have college credits?

      If you want to transfer in college credits you have already earned, we do a free in-house evaluation of your credits. You must be admitted before we can do our evaluation and all your college coursework should have been reported on your application. We must see all transcripts/academic records from all institutions that you have ever attended (regardless of whether you finished the program at the institution or not). Include certified English translations of all documents not issued in English.

      If you already have an independent evaluation of your credits, CMU will consider course-by-course evaluations from the following agencies:

      Learn more about undergraduate transfer credit policies.

      Get in touch

      If you have any questions about applying to Central Michigan University as an international student, please contact our International Recruitment Team.

      We are here to help you through every step of your journey toward an exciting education at an accredited U.S. university. At CMU, you will graduate with your diploma and hands-on experience in your field.