Admitted student next steps

Log in to the portal and take your next step toward becoming a CMU Chippewa.

Take your next step

Congratulations on your admission to Central Michigan University! The International Admissions team, along with the entire CMU community, is here to support you as you finalize your enrollment. Below is our admitted student checklist, which will guide you through the next steps of the enrollment process.

If you have any questions or concerns, please contact our office at

Scroll down the page or use these quick links to jump to a specific section:

Admitted student checklist

    Your Global ID and PIN are your keys to becoming a Central Michigan University student.

    You can find your Global ID and PIN in your admissions letter. The Global ID and PIN will be used to activate your new student account.

    Your CMU Global ID and password provide you with access to CMU websites, your CMU email account, etc. You will need this to begin the I-20 request process. Your account information and instructions to activate your account were sent to you in your admission letter. Please refer to your admission letter to complete this step.

    Website link:

    Please Note: When you first log in to your CMU account using your Global ID, you will be prompted to activate your MFA (Multi Factor Authentication). For more information on how to do this, review the Frequently Asked Questions about Multi-Factor Authentication page.

    Allow about 24 hours for your application portal to update. You will receive an email indicating the update is complete.

    If you have any questions regarding your Global ID and/or password, you should contact CMU's Information Technology Help Desk at +1-989-774-3662 or

    Use your CMU Global ID and password from step 2 to log in to international student portal at In addition to proof of funding, you will need to upload:

    1. Completed cover letter for bank statements (download through student portal).
    2. Completed sponsor affidavit (if applicable - download through student portal).
    3. Information page of passport.
    4. Required information for any dependents if applicable.
    5. If currently attending school in the U.S., a copy of your current I-20, U.S. visa, and I-94.

    Follow the instructions on the first screen. Proceed through the remaining tabs to complete the I-20 request. Pay close attention to the amount of funding you are required to demonstrate. This is listed on the "Financial Details" tab.

    Once you've completed all of the requirements and uploaded the necessary documentation, proceed to the "Completed" tab and click on the "Complete" button.

    We host admitted student webinars monthly. We'll discuss:

  • How to apply for the I-20 and visa.
  • Packing tips, travel and arrival.
  • Location and housing options.
  • Campus resources and student life.
  • Visa process and interview tips.
  • Complete the online application form DS-160. All forms must be completed and signed and can be found a t A separate form is needed for children, even if they are included in their parent’s passport.

    When filling out the DS-160 the university address can be found on the I-20.

    The contact person is the staff member that signed your I-20.

    Visit to locate the embassy or consulate near you to schedule your required visa appointment. Wait times for an appointment can be lengthy so apply as soon as possible upon receiving your I-20.

    The SEVIS fee, also known as the Federal SEVIS I-901 fee, is a mandatory fee that must be paid by students and exchange visitors before applying for an F-1.

    The fee is $350 for the F-1 visa. The fee can be paid by credit card, Western Union Quick Pay or by mail. We do not recommend paying the fee by mail for it might take as long as four weeks to be processed.

    To pay the fee online, visit

    Complete the form I-901. Be sure that you enter your personal information exactly as it appears on your I-20. The SEVIS ID number is printed on the top left of your I-20. The SEVIS number starts with the letter N.

    Once you have paid using a credit card, print the receipt. Do not exit the receipt page until you print the receipt. You will not be able to return to the receipt page once closed.

    All students must submit their official, final transcripts and proof of degree (if applicable) before the first day of classes. This transcript must confirm your education at your academic level has been completed, reflect your final grades and come directly from your institution.

    Please review the following options:

    Electronic submission: Your university can send your transcript via secure electronic delivery service to

    In-person submission: You may bring your transcript with you to campus. The transcript must be sealed in an envelope stamped by your previously attended institution(s). During the week before classes, the International Admissions team will be available to process your documents.

    Mail submission: Your university can mail hard copies of your transcript to the following address.

    Central Michigan University
    Attn: International Applications Processing
    802 Industrial Drive, Global North
    Mount Pleasant, MI 48858 USA

    When purchasing your plane ticket, international students should note the start date on your I-20. You are allowed to enter the United States no earlier than 30 days prior to the start date listed on the I-20.

    Note that residence halls for on-campus students are not generally available for move-in until just prior to orientation. Questions about early move-in can be directed to

    Please check your CMU mailbox for more information about pre-arrival, and reach out to us at with any updates or questions so we can better prepare for your arrival.

    You can connect with your academic advisor to ensure that you understand your degree requirements and take the correct classes during your first semester.

    Undergraduate students will meet with an academic advisor during the two-day orientation for new international students. Graduate-level students should consult with their academic department.

    Your first semester bill will be calculated after registering for your courses. You will receive an email when your bill is available. Please pay for your bill before the due date to avoid any late fees. You will not receive a bill if you do not register for classes.

    For more information about billing and student account, please check the link below:

    Plan your travel to the United States

    When purchasing your plane ticket, please note the start date on your I-20. You are allowed to enter the United States no more than 30 days before the reporting date listed on your I-20. You should not enter the United States after the start date listed on the I-20. If you are facing unexpected delays, please notify our office as soon as possible to discuss your options.

    Important documents to carry with you on the plane in your personal item:

    • Passport
    • Original I-20 or DS-2019 (the immigration officer at the embassy or consulate may have put this in a sealed envelope or stapled it to your passport. Do not open; the officer at the airport will open it).
    • Payment receipt of I-901 SEVIS Fee.
    • Evidence of financial support.

    In the event that the officer needs to verify information with your school or program, you can contact our office at 989-774-4308.

    Mount Pleasant climate and what to pack

    Mount Pleasant has four distinct seasons: spring, summer, fall and winter. More information about Mount Pleasant can be found here

    Warm jackets, scarves, hats, gloves and boots are essential for winter (November-March). Waterproof outerwear and umbrellas are essential in rainy weather. You may also want to bring small personal items, such as photographs, traditional dress or other items to personalize your new home. Keep in mind residence halls have limited space. It is best to purchase electrical appliances after you arrive in the U.S., as appliances manufactured outside the U.S. may not be compatible with the power supply.

    It is advisable to carry a small amount of U.S. cash, in paper currency and coins, for baggage carts, bus/train fares and tips. Most airports have currency conversion stations for this purpose.

    International check-in

    Upon filling out the check-in request, you will want to be sure to gather and scan the following documents:

    • Your passport (which should include your visa and your entry stamp showing your arrival date and entry status).
    • Your most recent I-94 (this should be downloaded from the Customs and Border Protection I-94 website after your arrival to the United States).
    • Your recent I-20.
    • Port of entry stamp.

    More information about the required international student check-in will also be available in a Travel Tip email.

    Health insurance

    Health insurance is required for all international students. The most current information on health insurance is located at the link below. Please make sure to refer to this link for any insurance questions you may have. If you are not able to find an answer, please email

    Students will be automatically enrolled and will be billed each semester. The enrollment process for insurance happens after you are in the US and checked in. Once enrolled students will receive an email from GeoBlue with their plan information and can download the app to access their insurance ID, plan benefits and customer service.

    Health insurance information

    Course registration and academic concerns

    Students will register for courses during our New Student Orientation program.

    Graduate students should schedule a meeting with their academic advisor when they arrive on campus. Your advisor will introduce you to the department, help you register for courses and review program requirements.

    Undergraduate students must also complete the CMU Math Placement test.


    Plagiarism, cheating and all other forms of academic dishonesty are prohibited. Students are expected to adhere to the ethical and professional standards associated with their programs and academic courses. Alleged violations of this section shall be adjudicated in accordance with CMU's Policy on Academic Integrity.

    There are a variety of services to assist you with your academics while you are a student at CMU. Read about the different services provided by Academic Assistance and Advising.

    Tuition, living expenses and paying your bill

    When you are asked to provide Proof of Finances for your I-20, you are demonstrating the cost of tuition and estimated living expenses for one year at CMU.

    • Tuition cost: Will increase if you choose to take more than the minimum required credits per semester, and the cost for living expenses can vary depending on how much you actually spend on the included items.
    • Living expenses: Estimated amount covering the cost of housing, food, books, the Student Services Fee and other incidental expenses.
    • Graduate living expenses: Based on the average cost of an apartment in Mt. Pleasant and additional expenses such as food, books, the Student Services fee and other incidentals.

    Please note:  The Proof of Finances required to issue an I-20 are accurate at the time that the I-20 is issued. These costs are estimated and are subject to change based upon the university tuition rates and living expenses.

    Tuition rates are traditionally updated around July 1 of each year. Any changes that occur are not communicated by the OIA; students should watch the Cost of Attendance webpage and communicate with their department to verify tuition rates.

    Paying your bill

    Student bills are handled by One Central. Students will learn more about how to pay their bills at the mandatory International Student Orientation but can view the links below to learn a little more prior to arriving on campus.

    Graduate assistantships and on-campus employment

    Graduate assistantships are employment-related appointments that allow you to complete your graduate degree, work in a higher education setting and offset the cost of your program. 

    Many students work on campus to help offset the cost of their education. You can find job openings through Student Employment Services.