Skip to main content

Dual Enrollment

Dual enrollment allows you to save time and money on college by earning college credit before graduating high school. Work with your counselors to choose the right CMU course(s) each semester. 

Your dual enrollment courses can count toward the requirements for both your high school diploma and your college degree.


Most dual enrollment students are high school juniors or seniors, though we accept other students in exceptional cases. To join the program, you must meet the following criteria:

  • Satisfy the admission requirements for new CMU freshmen.
  • Get approval for dual enrollment, your course selection, and the school district tuition contribution (if applicable) from your high school counselor or principal.

How to apply

The application process is straightforward, and we're here to help. We encourage you to apply no later than three weeks before the start of the semester for the best selection of courses. Please get in touch with Alex Bohnsack at 989-774-3076 for assistance. 

    Submit an application for dual enrollment. No application fee is required.

    An application is only needed the first semester that you dual enroll.

    Application deadlines:

    Fall semester: August 1

    Spring semester: December 13

    Summer I semester: April 18

    Summer II semester: May 30

    Online Application for Dual Enrollment

    Work with your counselor to find a dual enrollment course. Dual-enrolled students can take classes that don't require prerequisites and have open seats available. Courses tend to reach capacity, so please make multiple selections in case your first choice is not available.

    Course Search

    Complete the dual enrollment registration form with your chosen course(s). Make sure you talk with your school counselor to know whether your school district is contributing toward your dual enrollment tuition or if you will be responsible for the full cost.

    Submit your high school transcript and dual enrollment registration form by logging in to your CMU applicant portal or emailing them to

    Once we receive your application, registration form, and transcript, we will enroll you in your chosen course(s).

    Applicant Portal

    If you have already dual enrolled at CMU, it's a simple process to enroll for another semester. Work with your high school counselor to find another course throughCourse Search and complete the dual enrollment registration form. Submit the form to Admissions ( and we will enroll you in your course.

    Dual Enrollment Registration Form


    We will register you for your selected courses once these items are processed. The Registrar's Office will notify you when your registration is complete.

    Tuition and fees

    As a dual enrollment student, you’ll pay the standard lower-level tuition rate for undergraduate courses. You’re responsible for the cost of books and supplies, but you won’t have to pay the student service fee.

    If one of your parents works for CMU, you may use their employee tuition benefit for dual enrollment courses. Be sure your parent fills out the appropriate forms through your account before the semester begins.

    Other ways to earn credit in high school

      An Early Middle College program allows you to earn your high school diploma along with up to 60 college credits through a fifth year at high school. Not all high school districts have an Early Middle College program. Ask your high school counselor if yours does.

      Early Middle College

      Advanced Placement (AP) gives you the opportunity to earn college credit from courses and tests you have completed in high school.

      Advanced Placement

      There are several options for you to earn credits through testing opportunities prior to coming to CMU.

      Testing for college credit