Skip to main content

Testing for College Credit

We're all about rewarding hard work. And while most students satisfy general education requirements by taking courses here at CMU, you can also earn credit with the following:

Advanced Placement: Courses and tests you've taken in high school. View the required AP scores and CMU equivalencies.

View AP scores and equivalencies

Competency exams allow you to bypass or "test out" of certain courses by demonstrating you already meet the subject's standard for skills and knowledge.

Learn more about Competency Exams

Sponsored by the College Board, CLEP exams allow you to demonstrate your academic proficiency in various subjects.

Learn more about CLEP exams

International Baccalaureate: As a high school student, you may be able to receive credit through the International Baccalaureate (IB) Diploma Programme. Strong scores on IB Higher Level examinations may allow for a course waiver or course credit. Exam scores should be sent directly from the IB Office (New York, Geneva, or London) to CMU's Undergraduate Admissions Office for evaluation. View the details, IB score requirements, and CMU equivalencies.​​​​