Skip to main content

How to Apply for Financial Aid as a Transfer Student

About 85% of CMU students receive financial aid each year

We offer scholarships, grants, loans and work-study. As a transfer student here, you could earn up to $13,500 over three years in scholarships alone.

We encourage all transfer students to apply for financial aid. The process is straightforward, and we're here to help.  Here are the steps to follow.

1. Submit the FAFSA (Free Application for Federal Student Aid). This is the federal form that determines your eligibility for need-based grants and loans. This year it will be available in December.

  • Before you can fill out the FAFSA, you’ll need to create an account (also known as an FSA ID).
  • List Central Michigan University (school code 002243) on the application to make sure we receive your results.
  • For priority consideration, submit it by May 1.

2. Apply for scholarships. You could earn up to $13,500 over three years in scholarships designed specifically for transfer students. You'll be automatically considered for merit scholarships when you apply for admission, but we also offer competitive scholarships that require a separate application.

Scholarships are also available from businesses, foundations, and many other sources. Explore the options and apply early!

Net Price Calculator

Get an estimate of how much financial aid you’ll qualify for.

Estimate your cost


Find out how to qualify for financial aid as a transfer student.

Learn about eligibility