Skip to main content

How to Apply for Financial Aid

At CMU, we develop leaders of every kind and every discipline. As a servicemember or veteran, you bring extensive leadership experience that strengthens our community. In turn, we want to make sure you feel supported and valued. One way we do that is to ensure your CMU education is affordable and accessible. As a veteran or active member of the military, you could qualify for as much as 100 percent of your costs in VA benefits, scholarships, grants, loans and work-study. 

We encourage all students to apply for financial aid. The process is straightforward, and we're here to help. Here are the steps to follow.

1. Submit the FAFSA (Free Application for Federal Student Aid). This is the federal form that determines your eligibility for need-based grants and loans.

  • Before you can fill out the FAFSA, you’ll need to create an account (also known as an FSA ID).
  • List Central Michigan University (school code 002243) on the application to make sure we receive your results.
  • Complete your FAFSA as soon after Oct. 1 as possible. For priority consideration, submit it no later than Feb. 15.

School Year

​ Fall 2021 - Summer 2022

FAFSA Available

October 1, 2020

Tax Year Information to Use


​ Fall 2022 - Summer 2023

October 1, 2021


2. Apply for scholarships. We offer hundreds of scholarships for high-achieving freshmen and transfer students. You'll be automatically considered for merit scholarships when you apply for admission, but we also offer competitive scholarships that require a separate application.

We encourage you to explore other scholarship sources as well. Many organizations offer scholarships that are specifically designed for veterans or active members of the military.

Net Price Calculator

Get an estimate of how much financial aid you'll qualify for.

Estimate Your Cost

Types of Aid

From federal grants and loans to a veterans award, your offer is based on financials from the Free Application for Federal Student Aid (FAFSA) and may include federal Pell grant (if you are an undergraduate student), loans and work-study.

Explore Your Options


Find out how to qualify for financial aid as a veteran or active member of the military.

Learn About Eligibility