Going to college is exciting.
But paying for it usually isn't. However, we are committed to making it a little easier on your wallet or purse. Eight out of 10 CMU students receive financial assistance from a pool of more than $361 million of annual aid including scholarships, financial aid, and work-study to name a few. Here are some steps you can take toward making it happen.
- Determine your approximate costs using the CMU Cost Calculator.
Costs for the 2014-15 school year at the main campus in Mount Pleasant are listed below. Please note that annual cost of attendance varies by individual and is dependent upon the number of credit hours taken.
|Annual Costs (2014-15)
Room and board**
|Total Direct Costs||$32,450||$20,330|
*Tuition cost based on 30 credit hours per year. Tuition rate is $789 per credit hour for out-of-state students and $385 per credit hour for Michigan residents.
**Room and board cost based on a standard residence hall and unlimited meal plan. Totals do not include books, supplies, and personal items.
When comparing costs at several universities, ask about mandatory fees and differential tuition that increases with certain majors. CMU assess no mandatory fees or differential tuition rates.
- Submit the FAFSA (Free Application for Federal Student Aid) between January 1 and February 14.
You can complete this form online beginning January 1.
- Have your tax information - or your parents’ information if you depend on them financially. You may use estimated income from year-end check stubs and W-2 forms.
- On the FAFSA, designate Central Michigan University (Title IV School Code: 002243) as your school of choice to receive financial aid.
- For priority consideration, submit your FAFSA by February 14.
- Apply for scholarships.
In addition to the merit awards that require no additional application, there are many application-based scholarships available that have specific application forms and deadlines.
- Look for an on-campus job.
There are hundreds of positions available on campus in just about any area of interest. If you receive a Work Study opportunity on your merit award letter (which comes to you in the Spring after you complete the FAFSA), you will have high priority for landing a campus job.
- Enroll in CMU's interest-free payment plan.
The CMU Payment Plan helps make college more affordable by paying for tuition and fees over time.