Frequently Asked Questions

Welcome to Central Michigan University's Parents & Supporters FAQ page! Here, you'll find answers to common questions we receive from parents and supporters just like you. Take a moment to browse through the information provided, and feel free to reach out to us with any further inquiries. We're here to support you and your student every step of the way.

Financial aid and scholarships

    Students can begin filing the FAFSA for a new year in October. For example, if a student is applying for the 2025-2026 school year (August 2025 to July 2026), they can file the FAFSA in October 2024. Filing early will allow you to receive a financial aid offer earlier and may also make you eligible for more aid options.

    The FAFSA is the only way to become eligible for federal aid but is also used to award several other types of aid. State programs like the Michigan Achievement Scholarship rely on FAFSA to determine eligibility, as well as many other outside scholarships, including some that only require a student to have any amount of need.

    Yes! Scholarships can increase if a student receives a qualifying increase in their GPA or test scores and it is received before they begin their first semester at CMU. Contact if you have questions, or send new test scores and transcripts to


      Average charges for an incoming student at CMU can be found here. However, it is important to note that nearly ¾ of incoming students receive a scholarship and over 85% receive some sort of financial assistance to offset those costs.

      Housing and food

        CMU offers 3 different dining options for students to choose from. All options and current pricing can be found on the Housing and Food Rates page.

        The housing application process for new students is outlined here. As part of the housing application process, your student will need to build a Roommate Group in their housing application. Students can typically do this beginning in January. To find their chosen roommates, everyone must have started their housing application. The student who creates the Roommate Group is the Group Leader. This person will be the one to invite others to the group. Once everyone has accepted the group request to live together, the Group Leader will select a space during the timeframe for their preferred location and assign themselves and each roommate to a bed space in that unit. Be sure to talk with your roommates about a second and third option if your first housing preference is not available as sign-up is first come, first served.

        If your student does not have preferred roommates, do not worry! Many students decide to select their housing based on where they want to live and they will receive roommates looking for that same location.

        Students are encouraged to communicate directly with their Residence Assistant or Hall Director who will support the facilitation of any roommate disagreements.

        For information on the CMU Housing application process, visit the Housing for First-Year and Transfer Students page. This page includes information on the housing application and the room and roommate selection timeline.

        Here is a list of suggested essential items to bring as well as prohibited items.

        Visiting campus

          Making the trip to campus is a great way to determine if CMU is the right place for your student to begin their college career. There are several different options of visits to choose from, depending on where your student is in their exploration. Read through our Campus Visits webpage to determine which event is the best fit for you. All our visits include a presentation from our admissions staff, a campus tour and the chance to connect with current CMU students.


            Incoming first-year students should try to apply in the in the fall prior to their enrollment, which will allow them to participate in any scholarship events they may qualify for. Incoming transfer students should try to apply about 8 months in advance of their start date to ensure they can participate in any scholarship events. Students can certainly apply after those times but may miss out on some of the larger scholarship programs.

            Billing and payment

              For the Student Account Services and University Billing Office to release billing information to any third party (including parents), a student must first grant permission. A student can authorize individual access to their electronic billing account by filling out the authorized payer form.

              Students have multiple resources to help them manage the cost of earning a degree. Some of the most important considerations are:

              • Submit the FAFSA every year.
              • Be sure to apply for any scholarships they may be eligible for as incoming students, and also as returning students.
              • Discuss loans, payment plans, and other billing-related questions with OneCentral, our one-stop shop for all things that are “the business of being a student”.

              CMU offers a variety of methods to pay a bill including electronic checks, credit cards, and in-person. Statements are sent monthly and only if the student has a charge or payment on their account. A list of statement dates and due dates can be found here.

              Students can Log in to CentralLink and follow the link under Current Amount Due located in the Student Quick View. Students will access QuikPay, CMU’s online billing and payment service provider. Parents and other individuals for whom students have created an Authorized Payer account in QuikPay may log in to review statement information, make one-time payments, or set up a CMU Payment Plan at

              Living in Mount Pleasant

                Yes, all students can register for a parking pass beginning in August. Information about costs and other details can be found on the Parking Services webpage.

                CMU has gone to great lengths to provide a safe community for students, faculty and staff. Additional resources and information can be found on our Campus Safety webpage.

                Parents can connect with our Parents and Family Services Office and ask questions, join the Parent & Family Association and even sign up for an email newsletter! More information is available here.

                Parents along with students can also sign up for the RAVE Guardian Safety App to be informed of campus safety resources and alerts.

                Student support

                  Tutoring is a free university service available to students if they need assistance in their 100-300 level courses. Students meet with tutors one-on-one and get the extra help needed. A student can request a tutor using their login and password.

                  The Math and Writing Assistance Centers are also available for any student seeking assistance with math and writing.

                  The College of Science and Engineering also offers peer-assisted tutoring in chemistry, computer science and physics.

                  Students who had an IEP in high school, have a documented disability that significantly affects major life functions, are clients of Vocational Rehabilitation, Commission for the Blind, or other related agencies, or were registered with a disability services office at another college should contact CMU’s Student Disability Services office to see what resources and support may be available to them.

                  Accommodations that a student receives in high school do not automatically carry over to college, and students must take the step to reach out to Student Disability Services to begin the process.

                  Next steps

                    Students sign up for their classes with the help of an academic advisor at a New Student Orientation session. Students must submit their Enrollment Deposit in order to sign up for Orientation and can do so in their application status portal.

                    Orientation sessions for students who plan on starting in the Fall semester typically take place between May-August, while sessions for students starting in Spring typically take place October-December.

                    Other topics

                      The first day of classes for various semesters is listed on the Academic Calendar.

                      CMU has multiple breaks throughout the year, including breaks in the academic calendar and holidays. All breaks can be found on the Academic Calendar.

                      Applicant portal login: When a student applies to CMU at, they use a personal email and create a password to start and submit their application for admission. This login will allow a student to log into their applicant portal at to check their application status, review their admissions decision and sign up for orientation.


                      Note: If a student applies to CMU using the Common Application, this portal account will need to be activated by entering the email used to apply to the Common Application and selecting “forgot your password.”


                      Central Michigan University account (created after a student is admitted): This account is available after admission and will provide you with a CMU username (also known as a Global ID). Here you will manage your personal CMICH email, view and register for courses and have access to other important functions like viewing your financial aid package, your housing application and more.