Internships are the best way to gain real-world experience, boost your resume, and acquire in-demand job skills. If you are interested in earning course credit for your job or internship experience, read the Frequently Asked Questions (FAQ). More details and required forms are posted below.

BCA Internship FAQ

Any paid or unpaid position in mass media, journalism, public relations, or media-related discipline can potentially be applied toward college credit.

No. They are optional but can be used to fulfill an upper-level elective. Talk to your academic advisor about how you can most effectively apply for internship credits.

Yes. Internship experiences replace traditional coursework, and you must pay the current per-credit-hour rate via the registration system.

Undergraduate students are eligible for 1-6 credit internships. Graduate students are limited to 2-3 credits. Most people take 3-credits. Note that internships count as electives, and do not fulfill upper-level course requirements.

It depends on how many credits you want to earn. The target rate is 50 hours per credit. For example, to earn 3 credits, you should work a minimum of 10 hours per week for 15 consecutive weeks. (About 150 hours work experience). Complete requirements are listed in the GUIDELINES document below.

You must be a declared BCA major with Junior status or above and currently hold at least a 2.5 GPA.

This part is up to you. It is the student’s responsibility to find a position. Check job listings online, reach out to people/organizations you are interested in, check LinkedIn etc. BCA professors might also have contacts in the field. Just ask.

Before you are allowed to register, your internship must be approved by 1) The BCA front office and 2) Central Michigan University’s Office of Licensure, Regulatory Services & Human Capital.   

For BCA guidelines, see the GUIDELINES document linked below. You need an application, a Faculty Recommendation Form, and a current transcript.  

For CMU, the agency you are interning with MUST sign an Affiliation Agreement. Check if your agency already has an agreement on file in the link below. If your agency/company is not listed, the AGREEMENT CONTRACT below must be in place before you can register for credit.

Affiliation Agreement

All application documents need to be on file with the internship coordinator no later than two weeks prior to starting the internship. Ideally, internships should be planned well-advanced. Materials should be in place by November 1 for the Spring semester, April 1for the Summer session, and August 1 for the Fall semester.

Keep track of your hours and complete an end-of-semester project. You can choose between a reflection essay or a professional portfolio. See the ASSIGNMENTS document below.

BCA Internship Documents & Forms

This document outlines the School of Broadcast and Cinematic Arts policies and procedures for internships.

BCA Internship Guidelines

Portions of this application are filled out by the student intern and the professional supervisor of the internship. The company or entity granting the internship must enter into an affiliation agreement with Central Michigan University for the internship to be approved for credit.

Internship Application

The agency or company/entity that hosts the internship MUST have an Affiliation Agreement on file with CMU’s Office of Licensure and Regulatory Service in place
two (2) weeks prior to the start of the internship. Students will not be registered until the Agreement is in place.

CMU Affiliation Agreement

You find two BCA Faculty members who will nominate you to conduct an internship and represent BCA in the industry.

Faculty Nomination Form

twenty percent of the internship grade is based on the monthly narrative logs and the final intern report, which are due to the BCA Internship Coordinator during the last week of the internship. Suggested formats for the logs and final report are outlined in this document.

Internship Assignment