Skip to main content

Next Steps

We can’t wait to meet you! As you plan your journey to Central Michigan University, we're here to help.  After you receive your I-20, our Office of Global Engagement will assist you with the arrival process. They'll send information from to your CMU email account.

Make a smooth transition

Traveling to CMU as an international student will take extra preparation and thought, so we'll send helpful travel tips to your email account. Another resource is Education USA, a United States government organization located around the world to help students study in the U.S. They provide information and insights on the visa process and questions specific to your area.

We've gathered some resources to help you get ready and bring everything you'll need. If you have questions, email our international student services staff.

When to arrive

Before booking your travel to CMU, check our academic calendar and find out when your housing will be available. You should plan to arrive on campus at least a day or two before orientation begins.

Getting your Visa

When your I-20 is issued, you’ll get access to additional information about the visa process along with details on housing, health insurance, and more. In the meantime, contact us if you have questions.


If you’re planning to live on campus, our residence life office will contact you with details on moving in.

International student orientation

Before school begins, you’ll participate in a mandatory orientation session for new international students. During orientation, you’ll meet other new students, learn about resources available to you here at CMU, and explore campus life. You’ll also learn about:

  • Immigration regulations.
  • How to adjust to American life.
  • Campus safety.
  • Health services.
  • English language testing.
  • Student organizations.

Office of Global Engagement

Learn more about the Office of Global Engagement

Immigration Advising and Student Services

As an international student, you’ll need to maintain your immigration status throughout your studies here in the United States.​ If you have questions or need support, contact us. We’re always happy to answer questions and help you understand the regulations.