Frequently Asked Questions about Professional Development

What credentials does the Instructor of Record need to submit?

The Instructor of Record must provide a resume and a transcript that shows they have earned a Master's degree or higher. A student copy of a transcript is acceptable. The exception to the transcript requirement is if the individual graduated with their Master's degree from CMU. In this instance, they do not need to provide a copy of their transcript; however, their Master's degree from CMU should be indicated on their resume. Copies of credentials can be sent electronically or faxed to 989 774-1188.​

Email Us

Which semester should I choose?

The semester for a course is determined by the ending date - for example, a class starting December 1, 2020, and ending March 1, 2021, would be listed as a Spring 2021 course.*

* No DDPD courses can end between 6/15 and 6/30 and the last two weeks of December due to registration restrictions during these time periods. If your professional development program is scheduled to end during this time frame, your end date will be administratively changed so that the course is moved to the following semester to allow sufficient time for registration and submittal of grades. Your client services representative will notify you after receiving your course submission should this change need to be made.

How is the number of credit hours determined?

The number of credit hours awarded to a course is based on the total number of contact hours. To calculate your credit hours, follow these guidelines:

1 credit hour = 15 contact hours
2 credit hours = 27 contact hours
3 credit hours = 36 contact hours

4 credit hours = 48 contact hours

For courses delivered in a combination of face-to-face and online instruction, it is important that the appropriate contact hours be met. Sixty percent (60%) of the contact time must be with the instructor, whether it be face-to-face or online interaction. The online component must include academic activities related to accomplishing the course's objectives. Listed below are acceptable types of online activities that may apply to the 60% rule:
  • posted readings with chat responding to a set of questions
  • viewing video clips with chat responding to a set of questions
  • postings of assignments with threaded discussions

Which course designator should I select?

Course designators indicate which academic department will be reviewing and approving the syllabus and awarding credit.
General educational professional development courses for teachers fall under the EDU 508 course designator.
Courses geared for school administrators fall under the EDL 592 course designator. Please contact CMU if you are unsure which course designator should be assigned to your syllabus.

How is revenue sharing handled?

CMU has revenue-sharing arrangements with DDPD sponsor organizations based on sponsors assuming costs for instruction, promotion, and other course costs. The revenue split will be communicated to districts through CMU's DDPD confirmation letter that will arrive with your registration materials. The revenue share funds will be issued to the sponsoring school, district, or organization via CMU's Payables department by direct deposit or the VISA purchasing card program.

What if my course is not approved?

If, for some reason, your course is not approved, CMU will communicate this to you, along with feedback received regarding why the course was not approved. You can then revise the syllabus to incorporate the feedback and send it to CMU where it will be re-submitted to the appropriate academic department.

Have a question we didn’t answer?

Email or call us at 989-774-3718.