Military Education and Training Credit

Special offer for active-duty military students!

Prior learning credits are now free to currently serving active duty military, Reserve and National Guard students who are admitted to CMU in 2023 and 2024.

Learn More

We can help you get the most out of all you've accomplished. We'll determine just how much of your bachelor's degree you have already completed and help you map the most efficient course to finish it.

We'll save you time and money by doing an evaluation and showing you how we can apply your military education and training, transfer credit, and life experiences to your bachelor's degree.

Military education and training credit

Depending on your Military Occupational Specialty and rank, you could have as much as 1/3 of your bachelor's degree completed. Your basic, advanced and occupational specialty training can be applied to the following CMU bachelor's degrees:

  • Bachelor of Science or Bachelor of Applied Arts in Administration/Personnel Administration
  • Bachelor of Science in Organizational Leadership
  • Bachelor of Science in Community Development

Joint Services Transcript evaluation

When you send us your JST, we'll evaluate your basic and advanced training and let you know how many credits you can apply to your program.

How To Order Military Transcripts

Prior Learning credit

It's not just your military training that can save you time and money. Our Prior Learning program helps you document what you have learned in prior work, training and community activities. CMU faculty assess the portfolio you create and award credits for college-level knowledge that applies to your degree. Prior learning credits only cost 22% of the current tuition rate. By spending a bit of time documenting your accomplishments, it's possible to save thousands of dollars on your degree.

Learn More

College and Military transfer credit

Have you taken any courses at an accredited community college, college, or university? Learn how those courses and military training courses might transfer. 

Learn More

Military coursework that is equivalent to Graduate Level college coursework may be considered for possible transfer credit. The ACE Guide to the Evaluation of Educational Experiences in the Armed Services is consulted, and its recommendations are generally, but not always, followed.

As with any transfer credit, all course work must have been completed within seven (7) years of the date of your graduation from a master’s degree program or within four (4) years of the date of your completion of a graduate certificate program.

Only course work with a grade equivalent to a “B” or better will be considered for transfer. Students may only transfer six (6) credits from a completed master’s degree program. Correspondence course work is not eligible.

Examples of Military course work that is eligible for transfer credit evaluation:

  • CGSC – ILE: Command & General Staff College Intermediate Level Education
  • CAS3: Combined Arms and Services Staff School
  • DAU: Defense Acquisitions University
  • AMSC: Army Management Staff College
  • SOS: Squadron Officer School
  • AU: Air University
  • NDU: National Defense University – Joint Forces Staff College

The examples above are only a sample of some of the coursework that may be considered. This is not a complete list nor is this a guarantee that this coursework will automatically transfer to your program.