Federal Employee Discount for CMU Online Programs
- condensed 8-week courses
- online, face to face, or hybrid formats
- master’s and bachelor’s degrees
- certificate programs
- credit for prior learning
If you have a specific question regarding the Federal Employee Discount (FED) not addressed below or need assistance with the process, please call 800-950-1144.
How to apply
To complete the process, follow these steps:
1. Apply online
2. Scan and attach your most recent Leave and Earnings Statement to establish that you are a Federal employee.
- If the applicant is the spouse or dependent of a Federal employee, you must also include only page one from your most recent Federal income tax return. This should be scanned and uploaded as part of the application process.
- If your Leave and Earnings Statement or most recent Federal income tax form are not available to upload at the time of application (when you click submit), the missing documentation can be emailed to firstname.lastname@example.org or mailed to: Central Michigan University, Attn: Transcripts Department, 802 Industrial Drive, Mount Pleasant, MI. 48858 USA. Please indicate your full name as it is on your application to CMU and that this information is for the Federal Employee Discount rate.
3. To use the application fee waiver when you apply, in the More About You section under the Application Processing Fee Waiver, select “I have been provided an application fee waiver code” and enter FED1517.
4. Request official transcripts. This can be a lengthy process, be sure to have the registrar mail official transcript(s) directly to:
Central Michigan University
Attn: Transcript Department
802 Industrial Drive
Mount Pleasant, MI. 48858 USA
or email the transcript(s) to email@example.com
To process your application we must receive:
For Undergraduate Programs
- Official high school or GED transcripts if you have not completed at least 24 credits from a regionally accredited two-or-four-year college or university.
- Or, official transcripts from each of your previously attended regionally accredited colleges or universities.
For Graduate Programs
- Official transcripts from all colleges or universities attended.
- You must hold a baccalaureate or equivalent degree from a regionally accredited institution. GPA requirements vary by program.
- The program you are applying to may have additional requirements.
Frequently Asked Questions
What academic programs are available with the Federal Employee tuition savings?
More than 30 academic programs are available, including select CMU Online certificates, bachelor's degrees, master's degrees and the Doctor of Health Administration.
This tuition savings does not apply to other doctoral programs and excludes the Master of Science in Information Systems, Master of Entrepreneurial Ventures, Bachelor of Science in Business Administration and Bachelor of Science in Nursing.
Am I qualified for the Federal Employee Discount (FED)?
Civil service Federal government employees, spouses, and their dependents may be eligible to receive the FED. Dependents are identified as those that qualify under the existing IRS definition of a qualifying dependent. Federal employment can be verified with a Federal Leave and Earnings Statement, with additional documentation needed to verify dependents. Examples of acceptable documents include page 1 of your tax return, a marriage license, or a birth certificate.
Can I apply for financial aid along with the Federal Employee Discount (FED)?
Yes. You also may qualify for numerous merit-based scholarships available through CMU. The Free Application for Federal Student Aid (FAFSA) financial aid code for CMU is 002243.
Will my previous credits transfer to CMU?
CMU accepts transfer credits from regionally accredited institutions. The maximum number of transfer credits that can be applied toward your degree program depends on where the credits are transferring from and what degree you pursue.
Can I earn credits for my previous work experience?
CMU recognizes the value of your learning through professional and life experiences with Prior Learning Credit. A maximum of 60 undergraduate credits or 12 graduate credits may be applied toward your degree from Prior Learning.
What are CMU's general education requirements
General education for undergraduate programs at CMU consists of two areas of liberal study and achievement, University Program and Competency Requirements, which are required of all students.
Where can I find information about the Federal Student Loan Repayment Program (FSLRP)?
The FSLRP permits agencies to repay federally-insured student loans as a recruitment or retention incentive for candidates or current employees of the agency. The program implements 5 U.S.C. 5379, which authorizes agencies to set up their own student loan repayment programs to attract or retain highly qualified employees. This is offered strictly by each individual agency.
What is the Public Service Loan Forgiveness (PSLF) Program and do I qualify?
The PSLF Program is intended to encourage individuals to enter and continue to work full-time in public service jobs. Under this program, borrowers may qualify for forgiveness of the remaining balance of their Direct Loans after they have made 120 qualifying payments on those loans while employed full time by certain public service employers.