Lean Six Sigma
Join the growing ranks of CMU students gaining Lean Six Sigma certifications as marks of distinction on their resumes!
- Yellow Belt
- Green Belt workshops
- March 20, 27 & April 10, 17, 24, 2020
- May 11-15, 2020 (information coming soon)
- May 25-29, 2020 (information coming soon)
On this page
What is Lean Six Sigma?
Lean Six Sigma Overview video
- Yellow Belt Certification
- Green Belt Certification
What is Lean Six Sigma?
Lean Six Sigma blends the
DMAIC and other methodologies of Six Sigma with the principles of Lean Manufacturing to provide a comprehensive approach to performance improvement. It comprises three performance elements: Project management, Team management, and Information management.
Lean Six Sigma Yellow Belt Certification
Why get Yellow Belt certified?
Lean Six Sigma Yellow Belt certification prepares you to be a valued
contributor to continuous improvement activities with a perspective employer. This
certification is recognized and valued by many employers such as GM, Ford, Dow
Chemical, Quicken Loans, Bank of America, UnitedHealth Group, Honeywell,
Johnson Controls, GE, and Volkswagen. This entry-level Lean Six Sigma
certification illustrates that the potential employee has a working knowledge
of Lean Six Sigma methods, tools, and techniques, and will be a valued contributor
to continuous improvement efforts. Employers in health care, financial
services, automotive, and many others routinely include preferences or
requirements for Yellow Belt certification. Lean Six Sigma Yellow Belt
certification may be the differentiator for candidates to get the job and
compensation they desire.
What does a Lean Six Sigma Yellow Belt practitioner do?
- Communicate using Lean Six Sigma (LSS) terminology.
- Relate key Lean Six Sigma concepts to overall business objectives.
- Explain a wide variety of quality, decision-making, project management, and communication tools you can use to help solve problems and improve processes during the execution of a Lean Six Sigma DMAIC project.
- Apply common LSS tools and techniques to appropriate business processes and improvement opportunities.
- Acquire the fundamental knowledge and skill for obtaining Yellow Belt certification through the comprehensive Lean Six Sigma Yellow Belt final examination. This exam has been designed to represent industry best practices in Lean Six Sigma Yellow Belt certification.
Yellow Belt Certification Path
The Lean Six Sigma Yellow Belt course, BIS 197A, introduces
students to both Lean and Six Sigma. Students develop a working knowledge of
the project management methodology DMAIC (Define, Measure, Analyze, Improve,
and Control) and selected problem-solving tools and techniques that will make
them valuable contributors in continuous improvement efforts. Upon successful
completion of the course, including passing a comprehensive exam, students will
be award Lean Six Sigma Yellow Belt certification. Follow your regular class
registration process to join this 1-credit class.
Lean Six Sigma Green Belt Certification
Why get certified?
Lean Six Sigma Green Belt certification is highly valued and sought-after by many employers such as GM, Ford, Dow Chemical, Quicken Loans, Bank of America, UnitedHealth Group, Honeywell, Johnson Controls, GE, and Volkswagen. This entry-level Lean Six Sigma certification illustrates that the potential employee has developed the project management, problem solving, and analytic skills that employers are looking for. Employers in health care, financial services, automotive, and many others routinely include preferences or requirements for Green Belt certification. Lean Six Sigma Green Belt certification may be the key differentiator for candidates to get the job and compensation they desire.
What does a Lean Six Sigma Green Belt practitioner do?
- Reduces waste and defects by applying Lean and Six Sigma principles.
- Demonstrates analytical problem-solving abilities for improving business processes.
- Utilizes contemporary statistical concepts to make data-driven decisions.
- Carries out project and team management concepts with business improvement opportunities.
- Formulates project selection criteria to focus Lean Six Sigma initiatives on projects that will have the greatest chance of success.
- Apply the DMAIC improvement process to solve business problems.
- Employs Lean Six Sigma data-driven approaches to solve problems at their root cause and prevent their recurrence.
- Demonstrates the fundamental knowledge and skill expected for obtaining Green Belt certification.
Green Belt Certification Paths
Green Belt certification can be achieved through successfully completing the requirements by taking BUS503QR or the Lean Six Sigma Green Belt Workshop. BUS503QR is a regularly offered course available to any undergraduate or graduate student that has completed the course pre-requisites. Similarly, the workshop is offered as a one week intensive training opportunity for current students. Further details on either path can be found under the