RN to BSN Program Requirements
To earn the Bachelor of Science in Nursing degree, Central Michigan University students must satisfy both the nursing major curriculum and the CMU general education program requirements. The nursing degree requires 120 semester credit hours, up to 90 hours can be transferred to this program. Review the transfer guides and articulation agreements from the Community College or University you attended to see how your credits will transfer to CMU. Your advisor will help determine if you need to take any courses at CMU beyond the 30 credit hours of the nursing major.
Transfer guides and articulation agreements
Review the transfer guides and articulation agreements from the Community College or University you attended to see how your credits will transfer to CMU.
College transfer agreements for Michigan students
If you transfer from another institution in Michigan with a transcript documented as having satisfied the MACRAO or MTA Agreement, you will also have satisfied the University Program portion of the general education requirements at CMU. All other students may refer to the General Education Requirements section of the Undergraduate Bulletin for guidelines on the applicability of their transfer credit toward University Program requirements.
Bachelor of Science in nursing degree requirements
General education requirements (30-42 hours)
There are two types of general education courses taken by all students, university program courses and competencies. University program courses prepare you to become well-rounded global citizens skilled in writing, speaking, and critical thinking. Competencies fulfill requirements in written English, oral English, mathematics, quantitative reasoning, and writing-intensive courses. See General Education Requirements for more information.
Requirement I (45 hours)
- Registered Nurse (RN) - An active unencumbered RN license within the state you reside.
- Note: Upon successful completion of all requirements of the major, 10 of the 45 credit hours awarded for an active unencumbered RN license will be equivalent to the CMU 300 level.
Other requirements (3 hours)
- STA 282QR - Introduction to Statistics 3(3-0)
- Note: This course can be transferred.
Specialized studies (30 hours)
A major in Nursing. A minor is optional. Contact the Director of Nursing for minor options.
Required courses (24 hours)
- NUR 300WI: Introduction to Baccalaureate Nursing Practice
- NUR 301: Health Assessment
- NUR 302: Research and Evidence-Based Practice
- NUR 390WI: Concepts of Culture and Diversity
- NUR 400: Concepts of Global and Population Health
- NUR 401: Nursing Leadership and Health Systems
- NUR 499: Capstone: Systems Thinking and Quality Improvement
Electives (6 hours)
Select two of the following:
- NUR 320: Nursing Informatics
- NUR 321: Health Care Finance and Economics
- NUR 322: Introduction to Nursing Education
- NUR 323: Nursing Case Management and Care Coordination
The number of elective hours will vary depending on the hours needed to complete the General Education program.