The Writing Center offers free online support to all CMU students enrolled in any undergraduate
or graduate course and for CMU faculty and staff. Writing Center peer consultants can provide
feedback on writing projects of any kind, at any stage of the writing process, from brainstorming
to final editing.
Due to the Covid-19 pandemic, the Writing Center is online only and is not offering face-to-face
consulting services. This online only format will continue through the Summer 2021 semester.
How to Access the Writing Center Online
For Summer 2021 and between semesters, the Writing Center offers an asynchronous draft review service. See below for a description of this service. For classroom presentation and workshop services (also online for Summer 2021), visit our Resources for Faculty page.
are accepted throughout the semester and during semester breaks.
Exceptions include July 4, Labor Day, Thanksgiving Day, Christmas Day, New
Year's Day, and Martin Luther King Jr. Day. Submissions will be accepted
on these dates; however, the turnaround time may be longer than 2-3
days. All current CMU students, faculty, and staff may submit drafts to
50-minute review of a draft submitted through our online submission form. A consultant will review your draft and provide written comments using Microsoft Word insert comments. This service works well if you have a nearly complete draft and have questions about specific areas, such as citation style, organization, and development; or, if you are looking for final editing and polishing tips.
Guidelines and Policies (also on our submission page)
- One submission in the queue at a time. Resubmit or submit a different draft only after current submission is returned.
- Submissions are returned within two to three days. Longer wait times may occur when demand is high.
- Submissions are reviewed in the order submitted, first-in/first-out. Allow time to get the draft back and make the necessary revisions before your due date.
- 50-minute session per submission. A 50-minute review generally covers 8 to 10 pages. Before resubmitting longer papers, make applicable revisions to the remainder of the draft and indicate where consultants should resume the review.
- Delete comments from consultant before resubmitting.
- Maximum document size is 10MB.
How to Submit Your Draft
Submit a draft for feedback from a Writing Center consultant.
- Save your draft as a Microsoft Word (.doc or .docx), Microsoft PowerPoint (.ppt or .pptx) or Rich Text Format (.rtf) document. We can only review documents that are saved in one of these file types. Microsoft files are highly recommended.
- Click on the "Online Submission Form" link located at the bottom of the submission page and log in with your
CMU Global ID and
- Fill out the form completely, attach your document by clicking on the "Browse" button, and then click "Submit."
NOTE: You must complete the online form for each submission.
- Drafts are returned as an attached Word document. Comments appear in the right margin.
Park Library 360--Closed
(Third Floor of Park Library)
(First Floor of Anspach Hall)