Borrow and Renew
At this time, feel free to browse the book collection and bring materials for checkout to the Library Service Desk on the second floor or use our Contactless Book Pickup Service to get materials in the library. You can return items to the drop boxes on first floor of Park Library, located in the corridor and at the north and south entrances or at the Library Service Desk.
In order to have material checked out to you as a student, faculty or staff, a valid CMU ID card is required. Guest Borrower cards are issued to members of the community who wish to use the collection.
For any questions about borrowing or renewing material, please call the Library Service Desk at 989-774-3114 or email us.
For more information, please see our Library Materials Policies.
Contactless Book Pickup
Check out physical Library books and materials with Contactless Book Pickup
Access the Library’s physical collections in four easy steps:
Step 1: Visit library.cmich.edu and find the book or material you need using the Library Smart Search tool.
Step 2: Be sure that you are signed in with your CMU Global ID and password, and:
- Select ‘Place a Hold’.
- Choose ‘Park Library’.
- Press ‘SUBMIT’.
Step 3: When the item is ready, you will receive an email with a link to schedule a pickup time.
Step 4: Arrive at the Library at the time that you chose, and your checked out library books will be waiting for you!
Please allow 24 - 48 hours for this Monday through Friday service.
- Items may be renewed by logging in to Smart Search or by calling the Library Services Desk at 989-774-3114 or email CMULibraries@cmich.edu.
- Most materials are automatically renewed a limited number of times unless requested by someone else.
- If an item is requested by someone else, the due date may be shortened and renewal will not be allowed.
- Borrowing privileges will be suspended and overdue penalties assigned if material is not returned by the new due date.
- Fines are non-refundable.
- Overdue material: $5.00 for each overdue item.
- Lost material (21 days overdue): replacement cost per item. If the price cannot be determined, a $60.00 replacement cost will be assessed.
- If an item which was assumed lost is returned within 6 months, the replacement cost, but not the other fees, will be credited to the borrower's account.
- All material must be returned or fees paid to reactivate a suspended account. Proof of payment must be verified at the Library Services Desk (this process may take several days).
- Visitors and community members may access electronic resources and databases while in the Park Library and can borrow selected materials (below).
- Guests 18 years and older are eligible to receive a guest borrower card, but must provide a photo ID.
- Guests under the age of 18 will need a parent's signature in addition to a photo ID.
- Guest cards are available at the Library Services Desk.
- Guest cards expire after one year, but may be renewed.
- All of our other services (1 North extended hours space, remote database access, Documents on Demand, study and event rooms, etc.) are reserved for CMU users only.
Guests may borrow circulating material for 28-day loans, including:
- Main book collection.
- Browsing materials.
- Government documents.
- Children’s collection.
Guests may also borrow the following material for 7-day loans:
- Multicultural video collection.
Guest material renewal
Guests are bound by the same renewal policies as regular CMU users (see above).
- Guests can print and make copies in the library by using a flash drive and cash/coin.
- Black-and-white prints cost 10¢ per page; color prints cost 30¢ per page.
- Self-serve scanning is available at no cost; for assistance ask a staff member or go to the Library Services Desk.