Welcome to CMU Libraries! You belong here.
We strive to provide:
- Equitable services.
- A welcoming, respectful environment that is conducive to study and research.
- A comfortable, clean, and safe environment for library users and personnel.
We are committed to protecting the rights of all users and sustaining the integrity of the collections. We adhere to university policies such as the Code of Student Rights, Responsibilities, and Disciplinary Procedures, the Responsible use of Computing Policy, and applicable state and federal laws.
To support this environment, library users are responsible for:
- Understanding and complying with the libraries’ policy for access and security.
- Treating everyone with dignity and respect in accordance with CMU’s Nondiscrimination/Affirmative Action Statements
- Acting in a manner that helps to preserve the libraries’ collections and physical spaces.
- Refraining from behaviors that create disturbances, interfere with the right of others to use the libraries for research and study, or otherwise detract from an academic environment.
- Refraining from any activity that is illegal, endangers others, or otherwise violates University policies.
These responsibilities allow you to:
- Ask others to end conversations, lower their voices, and otherwise maintain an atmosphere that is supportive of academic endeavors.
- Request and receive assistance from library employees in maintaining an environment supportive of academic endeavors.
- Expect that in addressing problems, library staff will take measured steps to restore an academic environment.
Protocol for restoring a scholarly environment
Library personnel will identify themselves and request that users comply with library rules. If users do not respond to initial requests or if they violate rules repeatedly, library personnel will take additional measures, such as asking to see an ID, issuing an oral warning, or asking the user to leave the building. Library personnel may also work with appropriate University personnel in addressing problems or may request University disciplinary proceedings including banning the user from the building. In working to restore the academic environment, library personnel will be respectful of the rights of all.
All University Library policies
Below are policies for the University Library. Visit the Clarke Historical Library for their policies.
Collection Development Policies
Computers & Computing Policies
Event and Meeting Space Policies
Library Instruction Policies
Library Materials Policies
Study Space Policies
- Animals Policy
- Children in the Library
- Clothing and Footwear Policy
- Disruptive and Prohibited Behaviors
- Food and Beverage Policy
- Noise Policy
- Public Address System Policy
- Skateboards, Inline Skates, etc. Policy
- Unattended Personal Belongings Policy
- Use of Library Materials, Facilities, Furniture, and Equipment
- Video Recording or Photography in the Library Policy