Obstetrics & Gynecology
Obstetrics and Gynecology Residency | CMU College of Medicine
Benefit from and expert led, experience-based program
The CMU College of Medicine Obstetrics and Gynecology residency program is comprehensive, fast-paced and robust. Residents are exposed to a variety of surgical procedures and are trained extensively in robotic surgery and laparoscopic procedures.
We seek enthusiastic residents who want to make important contributions to the field, especially those who share our mission to expand services in Northern Michigan. Those who seek to contribute to the field in other places and in other ways will also find that our program offers outstanding training for whatever their personal mission in Obstetrics and Gynecology may be.
Why choose CMU for obstetrics and gynecology?
As a resident, you'll be assigned a panel of patients to follow, gaining in-depth experience and training along the way. Our resident physicians care for a woman through her entire pregnancy and provide treatment for gynecologic patients with preventative and problem-based care.
You'll train at Covenant HealthCare and Ascension St. Mary's Hospital in Saginaw, Michigan where more than 2,500 deliveries are performed each year. Both organizations are tertiary-level hospitals where residents gain exposure to a variety of surgical procedures and a neonatal intensive care unit.
Expert faculty and staff, along with community volunteer physicians, supervise and evaluate residents while allowing for a great deal of resident autonomy in patient care decisions. They train residents in ultrasound, colposcopy, urodynamics, coding and contract evaluation in the new clinical simulation center in the CMU College of Medicine educational building on the Covenant campus and while on-site.
The mission of CMU College of Medicine Obstetrics and Gynecology Residency is to prepare each resident for a lifetime of competent and compassionate care in the field of women’s health by:
- Assisting the resident in attaining the medical knowledge to care for patients with complex obstetric and gynecologic conditions employing the concepts of evidence-based medicine, and to ultimately achieve specialty board certification
- Guiding each resident in developing sound clinical judgment in the evaluation, diagnosis, and treatment of each patient’s obstetric or gynecologic condition
- Creating an environment of scholarly inquiry within the residency, extending beyond residency with a commitment to life-long learning
- Providing optimal experience in procedural and surgical skills so the resident may achieve proficiency in these areas and strive to provide the best healthcare to women
- Encouraging on-going resident self-evaluation to continually improve individual practice and provide up-to-date care
- Navigating the healthcare system to provide holistic care for patients, addressing the body, mind, and spirit
- Communicating effectively with all members of the healthcare team in a respectful and professional manner
- Educating the patient and her support persons in a manner such that she shares in decision-making regarding the evaluation and treatment of her medical conditions
- Modeling the treatment of ALL persons with respect and dignity
- 4-year program
- Fully accredited by ACGME
- First-year residents receive a panel of patients in the continuity clinic to follow
- Reasonable call loads
- 2 tertiary-level hospitals with one NICU and referrals from more than 20 counties in Michigan
- Large patient base of 800,000
- Partner with Michigan Health Improvement Alliance, Inc. and Centering Healthcare Institute
- Provides full range of general services to women of all ages