Join an exceptional medical residency program and transform healthcare in Michigan.
Medical school graduates committed to serving the underserved and addressing Michigan’s healthcare issues and challenges choose Central Michigan University’s College of Medicine. With three-to five-year residency training programs in both primary and specialty care, CMU offers individualized education led by outstanding faculty in state-of-the-art facilities.
CMU is also a Regional Leader in Medical Education, Quality Patient Care and Community Health Partnerships.
CMU offers personalized education focused on you, the resident – often with one-on-one learner-to-faculty interaction. The high patient-to-learner ratio in Saginaw enables quality learning in a real-world setting.
Residency programs are accredited by the Accreditation Council for Graduate Medical Education (ACGME), with Podiatric Medicine and Surgery accredited by the Council on Podiatric Medical Education (CPME).
Our Training Community
- 50-year legacy, established in 1968
- Highly respected program directors and staff
- 56,000 CMU Health clinic patient visits annually
- 120,000+ emergency department visits at partner hospitals
- Two primary institutions: Covenant HealthCare and Ascension St. Mary's Hospital
- 16 affiliated hospitals/rotation sites
- Free-standing psychiatric hospital - HealthSource Saginaw
- Large outpatient Veterans Affairs facility
Residents love the beautiful Great Lakes Bay Region of Michigan for
its abundance of lakes and rivers, lush foliage and centralized location. A residency through the CMU College of Medicine also offers:
- An intimate, friendly faculty and resident culture
- Health care hub featuring ambulatory and hospital
- Medium-sized city within a friendly community
- Low cost of living and ample housing with an easy commute
- Vibrant local attractions and outdoor activities
Medical Simulation Center
As a resident, you'll experience hands-on patient care through our Covenant HealthCare Simulation Center,
a state-of-the-art facility of more than 10,000 square feet. Residency programs have monthly simulation sessions with standardized patients, high-fidelity simulation and numerous procedural models.
Equipped with virtual OR, OB, ICU, ED and pediatric environments, the simulation center offers high-quality training programs that improve the safety and care of patients in the Great Lakes Bay Region.