Dietetics Internship Cost and Fees
Financial responsibilities of interns
As an intern, you are responsible for all personal and professional expenses generated unless otherwise stipulated. Prior to orientation, you should arrange for appropriate housing and telephone service. Housing should not be secured until after you learn your primary rotation location from the internship director. There are several apartment complexes, and two or more interns may choose to rent an apartment together.
A reliable automobile is a must. Transportation will be your responsibility and time lost due to car problems will need to be made up. The public transportation systems in Bay City, Flint, Midland, Mt Pleasant and Saginaw are quite limited. Your car should also be prepared and equipped for safe driving in hazardous winter conditions. Automobile insurance that complies with State of Michigan regulations must be carried and proof of insurance is required by the first day of orientation. Your local insurance agent can help you make arrangements.
Health care insurance is required and you are responsible for the cost of healthcare. The name of the company and the policy number are required by the first day of orientation. You must pass a medical examination at your own expense before full admission to the internship is granted. An immunization record, background check and drug screen are also required. Forms are provided and must be completed in full.
You must provide appropriate uniforms and other professional attire as defined in the CMUDI Policies and Procedures. Textbooks and notes from major courses in nutrition, diet therapy, anatomy, physiology, and institution management will be helpful. You have access to departmental libraries and medical libraries in all the hospitals. You must have your own computer and printer and have access to the internet and email.
The cost of affiliate membership in the Academy of Nutrition & Dietetics is your responsibility. Expenses after completing the internship include the Academy of Nutrition & Dietetics active membership fee and dues as well as registration examination fees.
Fees and financial aid
- A non-refundable application fee of $50 is collected at the time of application to the internship. Send a personal check, money order, or cashier's check made payable to CMUDI. Do NOT send cash. Mail payment to:
Central Michigan University
Department of Nutrition and Dietetics
Anna Most, MS, RDN
Wightman Hall 106B
Mt Pleasant, MI 48859
- Upon acceptance into the internship, you must apply for acceptance into the Office of Graduate Studies as a degree-seeking student in Nutrition and Dietetics. The application fee is $50.
- You are eligible to apply for financial aid only if you apply to the Office of Graduate Studies as a degree-seeking student. Upon appointment to the internship, you are eligible to apply for financial aid. Financial aid information may be obtained through CMU’s Office of Scholarships and Financial Aid.
The table below provides an estimate of the costs of attending the internship. These are only estimates and actual expenses will vary considerably depending upon your individual needs and spending habits.
|Item||Approximate Cost Per Month||Approximate Cost Per Year|
|Graduate school tuition*|
(12 credits @ current rate)
|Internship fee ($175/credit)||$2,100|
|Rent (per person, double occupancy)||$375||$2,625|
|Miscellaneous living expenses||$4,420|
|Academy of Nutrition and Dietetics (AND) membership||$58|
|Books and supplies||$400|
|Lab coats and shoes||$400|
* Graduate School tuition is subject to change. The twelve credits are divided into two semesters, five spring, seven summer I for the January program and five fall, seven spring for the September program. Fees are subject to change.
- You will have library privileges at participating hospitals and Central Michigan University. Central Michigan University's catalog (Centra) and research databases (such as ERIC, CINAHL, MEDLINE and PsychINFO) are available via the libraries' home page. Articles and books are available to you at no charge through Document Access.
- You will also have parking access while on duty at any of the sponsoring hospitals and affiliations.