Social Work Admissions and Resources

Admission process

Current CMU students typically apply in the spring with applications due the first Friday in March. 

Transfer students should first contact the Undergraduate Admissions Office for information on applying to CMU and determining what credits will transfer. Transfer students are also encouraged to contact the Social Work Office​ at least one semester prior to transferring for advising specific to the Social Work Program. 

All students should contact a social work advisor​ to determine which semester to apply to the program and the appropriate cohort. 

Application materials

The social work application checklist provides an overview of the admission process, including application deadlines and admission requirements. Review the admission process questions and answers document for additional details. 

The following items are submitted as part of the social work admission process (these forms are also available through your advisor): 

IMPORTANT: First, download and save the selected form to your device. Then, open the form on your device using the Adobe Reader application. By following these steps, you should be able to save the documents with comments. If you have questions about the forms, email the Social Work Program office or call 989-774-2690.

Admission requirements

The following is a partial list of requirements for admission to the program. Please check the current CMU bulletin for a complete list of admission requirements, including grade requirements. 

Requirements to be completed by the end of the semester in which the student applies:

  • 50 credits with a cumulative GPA of 2.5 or better.
  • Math, Freshman Composition and Oral English Competencies with a C or better in each.
  • A minimum of 50 hours of approved social work-related experience (volunteer or paid).
  • A minimum of 12 credits of major courses with a major GPA of 2.7 or better and no grade below a C in any required major course.
    • SWK 100 with a B- or better.
    • SWK 205 with a B- or better (for applicants using the 2023-2024 or later CMU bulletin).
    • SWK 250 with a B- or better.
    • It is recommended that students complete SOC 200 or its equivalent.

Social Work Program Information

Local volunteer agencies

The Social Work Program has compiled a list of local volunteer agencies from experiences that students have had. The agencies on the list are not necessarily approved or recommended, and may not be accepting volunteers at this time. Students must use their own discretion and initiative in finding suitable social work related experiences.