Augmentative and Alternative Communication Center
Augmentative and Alternative Communication Center (AAC) provides a specialized service of the Central Michigan University Speech and Language Clinic. We provide resources, evaluation, equipment access and programming, and therapeutic instruction for individuals who are unable to learn functional communication through traditional speech-language therapy. All services are provided under the direction of certified professionals.
Augmentative and Alternative Communication refers to the supplementation or replacement of speech using unaided or aided methods. These methods include the use of sign language systems and communication boards, as well as sophisticated computer-based systems that may produce voice.
AAC Services include:
- Comprehensive, objective AAC evaluations for all ages and disabilities
- Evaluation reports appropriate for third-party payers
- Access to a full range of state-of-the-art communication aids
- Access to a variety of switches may allow persons with severe physical disabilities access to communication aids
- Follow-up recommendations and therapy to ensure the appropriate use of equipment
- Customized instruction programs for implementation by teachers, therapists, and other professionals
- Recommendations for the use of communication systems in vocational and educational settings
- Resource information
- Professional training, consultation, and workshops for families and health educational and vocational agencies
The clinic is accredited by the Professional Services Board of the American Speech-Language-Hearing Association. The AAC Services and the Speech and Language Clinic are part of the Central Michigan University Department of Communication Sciences and Disorders, which is accredited by the ASHA Council for Academic Accreditation.
The AAC Services offers competitive rates for contractual services.
If you are interested in scheduling an appointment, please be sure to fill out the AAC Pre-Assessment Form prior to the AAC evaluation. You may download the form or call to have it sent to you.