Health Administration Undergraduate Major
If you are interested in healthcare and have a strong desire to serve the community, our Health Administration program is for you. Perhaps you have even worked as a nurse, an emergency medical technician or medical assistant and now want to advance your career. Our health administration major will prepare you for a variety of entry or middle-level health service management positions. Health service managers strive to provide cost-effective, quality care to their community members. Your community members will rely on your leadership and management skills as health care delivery systems become increasingly complex. Our health administration major is designed for two groups of students:
- Incoming freshmen interested in working in health administration.
- Nontraditional students who already have an allied health program at the associates or technical level
- An overall grade point average (GPA) of 2.50 or higher.
- A grade of B- or better in each of the five Health Administration preparatory courses (ACC 201 or 250, STA 282QR or PSY 211QR, COM 267 or COM 357, ENG 101 and ENG 201).
- You may not register for other Health Administration courses on the major without first being accepted into the major or having a formal intent-to-major form completed. The total credits in preparatory courses to declare the major is 15 credit hours. Students are reminded that some courses may have additional prerequisites before they can enroll in the course.
- TOEFL Internet Based Test (iBT) is required if you are from a non-English speaking country. Applicants must achieve a minimum overall score of 94 with the following minimum scores:
- Reading: 22 minimum.
- Listening: 22 minimum.
- Speaking: 26 minimum.
- Writing: 24 minimum.
- Written evidence of consulting with a Health Administration advisor.
- Completion of at least 30 semester hours of college coursework.
Retention and termination standards
- You must maintain a major GPA of 2.67 or higher.
- You must earn a grade of C+ or higher in each major course. Credit/no credit coursework will not count on any major course, except for the internship experience (HSC 595).
- You must maintain an overall GPA of 2.50 or higher.
If you do not meet the admission requirements or do not continue to meet the retention standards, you may request an exception to the policy by completing the required form and submitting to the Division Director for consideration. The request for an exception must state the rationale for the exception and any documentation needed to support the exception, including any plans, if any, for correcting deficiencies.