Financial Information for PA Program

It is an important investment for your future career as a PA and we appreciate that affording graduate studies can be daunting. Our Financial Aid team will help you in identifying appropriate financial aid resources and provide guidance with the application process.  The following provides an overview of important information specific to tuition, fees, and financial aid.

Cost of Attendance

The Cost of Attendance (COA) is the cost of your graduate education for an academic year, as calculated by the Central Michigan University’s Financial Aid Office.  It takes into account tuition and fees, as well as estimated costs relating to books, supplies, room and board, personal expenses and transportation costs.

The COA covers expenses for only the period of enrollment when you are an active student. Periods of continuous non-enrollment are not included and are not funded.

View the Cost of Attendance table.

Your financial aid is based on the cost of education, a standard allowance, and not on your preferences and spending habits.  Please be advised, given that most first-year students are enrolled for 15 months, a supplemental summer application for financial aid will be required. Please be advised that the cost of education does not include consumer debts (such as car payments, bank loans, or credit card obligations) which you may have established prior to entering the PA Program graduate studies.  You should try to eliminate previous debts before beginning your PA Program studies.

Married students and/or students with dependents should note that federal regulations stipulate that your budget for the year only includes living expenses solely for you. The expectation is that the living expenses of your spouse and dependents will be met through your spouse’s earnings.  (In exceptional circumstances, you may apply to receive additional funds for child daycare costs and for certain other expenses. You will be required to provide documentation for any exceptional circumstances.)

Applying for financial aid

Please visit our Graduate Tuition and Aid web pageIf you plan on using financial aid as a means of paying your tuition, you need to complete the Free Application for Federal Student Aid (FAFSA) Free Application for Federal Student Aid (FAFSA) or renewal FAFSA each academic year.  Be sure to indicate that you want your information released to Central Michigan University by using the following school code:  002243. If this is your first time applying, you will need to request a pin number.

Questions regarding financial aid should be directed to CMU's Office of Scholarships and Financial Aid.  Should you need assistance completing the FAFSA application contact our Office of Scholarships and Financial Aid at 989-774-3674 or the U.S. Department of Education at 800-433-3243.

Checking your financial aid status

You may check the status of your financial aid via CentralLink. 

  • Login to CentralLink with your CMU global ID and password.
  • Select "My Account" and then select "Financial Aid Status" under "Finances."

Policy on refunds

If you receive financial aid in excess of your university charges, the balance will be refunded to you to use for other education-related expenses, i.e., off-campus room and board, transportation, personal/miscellaneous costs, etc. Early Financial Aid payments are scheduled to be credited to your CMU account one week prior to the start date of classes. By applying for financial aid after the priority deadline of April 1, you should be prepared to pay for fall education and living expenses until your aid is processed and your refund is available. View more information on how to process refunds of tuition and fees.  View refund dates set by Student Account Services.

Additional information

Scholarships, Loans, and Grants

Specialized scholarships and awards are available for PA graduate students. Many are endowments created by individuals and organizations to support CMU students pursuing advanced degrees in medicine. For more information, contact our Office of Scholarships and Financial Aid.

National Health Service Corps Scholarship Program

This program provides tuition, educational expenses, and a monthly stipend on an annual basis to students who will serve not less than one year for every year of scholarship support, or two years whichever is greater. Students must be full time and maintaining satisfactory academic progress. For more information, visit their website or call 1-800-221-9393.

Armed Forces Health Professions Scholarship Programs

Information is available on Navy, Air Force, and Army Health Professions scholarships in the Student Affairs Office. These scholarships provide educational expenses and a monthly stipend. Students who apply and are accepted accrue active military duty on a year-to-year basis, with a minimum of two-year service obligation.

Additional information on financial aid and scholarship funding opportunities through the American Academy of Physician Assistants Veterans Caucus, Association of Family Practice Physician Assistants and many other programs are available.

Federal Loan Programs 

Various federal loans are available to graduate students who file the FAFSA.  Visit the Graduate Financial Aid page and to learn more about these opportunities.  Please allow 15-20 business days to process these loans.

Questions regarding financial aid should be directed to our Office of Scholarships and Financial Aid at 989-774-3674.

Michigan State Loan Repayment Program Overview & Updates 

MSLRP helps employers recruit and retain primary medical, dental, and mental healthcare providers by providing loan repayment to those entering into MSLRP service obligations. MSLRP service obligations require participants to provide full-time primary health care services in Health Professional Shortage Areas (HPSAs) at not-for-profit health clinics for two years.

Lapeer County Medical Scholarship 

This fund was established to promote various medical-related purposes, including scholarship. Applicants must be residents of Lapeer County, at least a second year-enrolled college student in a pre-science medical professional career such as medical, dental, nursing, or physician’s assistant program; and maintain a 3.2 GPA. Preference is given to applicants based on financial need. Award – minimum of $500.00.  Scholarship information is available through their website. Lapeer County Community Foundation phone number is 810-664-0691.

Muskegon County Medical Society Alliance Scholarship

The MCMSA's scholarships are available to students enrolled in one of the medical/health science fields such as pre-PA/PA, pre-med/medicine, nursing, physical therapy, dietetics, bio-medical engineering, medical technology, radiology, medical school, etc.  The student must be a resident of Muskegon County and have a cumulative GPA of 3.2. He/she must be a sophomore and currently enrolled in a medical/health science field. Reapply for renewal.  Visit their website for more information.

Other Physician Assistant Scholarship Opportunities

There is a full list of other scholarship opportunities that are offered through To check out these opportunities, visit their website.