Gain advanced medical training and clinical experience
The CMU College of Medicine's Emergency Medicine residency program exposes resident physicians to pathology, trauma and hands-on procedural experience.
We seek enthusiastic residents who want to make important contributions to the field, especially those who share our mission to expand services in Northern Michigan. Those who seek to contribute to the field in other places and in other ways will also find that our program offers outstanding training for whatever their personal mission in Emergency Medicine may be.
Emergency Medicine Residency | CMU College of Medicine
Emergency medicine at CMU
At CMU, you'll care for high-acuity medical and trauma patient populations. Our primary training site accounts for more than 93,000 emergency department visits annually. Both training sites are American College of Surgeons verified Level II trauma centers, each with dedicated helicopter transport services.
All traumas are supervised by our Emergency Medicine residents, with preceptor oversight allowing for unparalleled exposure to the management of blunt and penetrating injuries. Patient demographics include urban to rural, with a large geographical transfer region.
As a resident, you'll be exposed to an innovative curriculum that focuses on collaborative and interactive learning. We utilize a multi-modal format that includes flipped classrooms, hands-on procedure labs and more than 50 hours of simulation-based training annually. Our state-of-the-art, 10,000 square foot clinical simulation center places us among the premier simulation facilities in the nation.
Our faculty are nationally and state recognized leaders in Emergency Medicine who pursue excellence in academics, clinical care and mentoring. Dedicated to teaching evidence-based medicine, our faculty will support your growth and leadership.
- 3-year program with two months of electives
- 25 blocks in the emergency department
- Five blocks in ICU
- Fully accredited by ACGME
- Emergency Medical Services Fellowship available
- Two training sites: Covenant HealthCare and Ascension St. Mary's of Michigan (Saginaw)
- High patient-to-learner ratio
- Limited competition for patients and procedures
- Research and publishing opportunities
- Extensive training in high-fidelity simulation
- Unparalleled trauma experience: Our residents "run" all trauma presenting to our ACS verified clinical sites
- Outstanding pre-hospital medicine experience, supported by our accredited EMS fellowship and partnerships with community aeromedical transport services
Underrepresented in medicine scholarship
Central Michigan University College of Medicine offers a unique opportunity for medical students from minority groups currently underrepresented in medicine. Learn more about what the underrepresented in medicine (URM) program is and how you can apply for our scholarship opportunity.
The emergency medicine curriculum shows perspective residents a sample of what types of rotations are available for each year of the residency program.
The emergency medicine conference schedules shows the current rotation schedule details.
Didactics include the following:
- EM Foundations
- EM Grand Rounds
- CMU Interdisciplinary Grand Rounds
- Journal Club
- Infections Disease
- Simulation Resuscitation Review
- Follow-up Rounds
- Ultrasound Sono Rounds
- EM Administration/CQI
- Trauma/Critical Care
- Resident Lectures on Focused Topics
- Psychiatry and Ethics
- Oral Board Cases
Emergency medicine in action
Our emergency medicine residents at work and play during their residency program.