History degrees and certificates
Understanding and analyzing the development of political, cultural, economic and social life in past civilizations gives you the conceptual skills to analyze critical issues in both the present and future.
With faculty specializing in a wide array of periods, places, and approaches to history, we train an equally diverse array of students at all levels of the university. We offer undergraduate BA and BS degrees in history as well as specialized training in history education leading to the BSEd. At the graduate level we offer a traditional MA as well as a semester abroad track and graduate certificates in European History, Modern History, and United States History.
- History major/minor
- Public history major
- Secondary education
- Master's degree in history
- European history graduate certificate
- Modern history graduate certificate
- U.S. history graduate certificate
The History program at Central Michigan University fosters the creation and communication of historical knowledge by:
- Teaching undergraduate students, including preparing K–12 history teachers.
- Training professional historians at the graduate level.
- Conducting advanced historical research.
- Writing and speaking for both specialist and general audiences.
We encourage collaborative inquiry and exchanges among faculty and students from CMU and partner institutions abroad as well as outreach to Michigan, the United States, and the wider world. In all of these activities, we seek to support CMU’s institutional priorities of teaching and learning, diversity and global perspectives, research, public service, and the culture of integrity.