Begin Your Career in Psychiatry
At the CMU College of Medicine, we're dedicated to preparing residents to be leaders in the field of Psychiatry - without socioeconomic or geographic limitation of any kind. Our residents become partners in reaching out to groups that most need their knowledge, skill and compassion.
We seek enthusiastic residents who want to make important contributions to the field, especially those who share our mission to expand services in Northern Michigan. Those who seek to contribute to the field in other places and in other ways will also find that our program offers outstanding training for whatever their personal mission in Psychiatry may be.
Why Choose CMU for Psychiatry?
The Psychiatry residency program is strengthened by our world-class faculty, robust teaching, research and publication opportunities, state-of-the-art facilities and diverse practicum environments.
Based in Michigan's Great Lakes Bay Region, the program offers easy access to major hospitals, a Veterans Administration medical center, freestanding psychiatric hospital, the Field Neuroscience Institute, and a large, progressive community mental health center.
Our faculty are highly respected in their field and come from a broad range of specialties, including adult, geriatric, child, forensic and consult-liaison psychiatry.
We believe the discipline of Psychiatry must be guided by science, both biological and social: The psychiatrist of the future will be a sophisticated clinical neuroscientist with the critical capacity to judge evolving interventions and diagnostic trends in the light of evidence-based practice and relevant neuroscience and psychosocial sciences. We will teach you how to make an accurate DSM diagnosis, but do not be surprised if we then convince you that DSM adopted the wrong diagnostic criteria. We will advise you about the evidence-based pharmacotherapy for a particular condition, and then we will explain why a less expensive medication lacking the "evidence-based" imprimatur would be a reasonable alternative. After you admit an adolescent to the hospital, we will challenge you to show that you decreased rather than increased the probability of a future suicide threat. In brief, we will train you to think rather than to accept any "fact" or practice at face value.
- Involved in candidate selection
- Bringing awareness to mental health
- Innovative planning
- Practice evidence-based medicine
- Provide quality/safe care
- Coice of psychiatry
- Intra professional
- Promote team building
- Commited to patient health
- Good communication
- Compassion towards others
- Takes initiative
- Emotionally mature
- High sense of responsibility
- Work more closely with faculty
- Fostering academic excellence
- Continue to be involved on candidate selection
- Choose candidates with similar core values
- Expand fellowship opportunities
- Improve community collaboration
- To better serve and bring awareness to mental health
- Understand practical medicine and provide standard of care
- Integrate into community
- Provide and enviroment of collegiality and growth
MIDOCs Loan Repayment Program
Did you know this program qualifies for up to $75,000 in loan repayment in exchange for a commitment to practice for at least two years immediately after residency in a rural or urban underserved setting in Michigan?
Learn more about MIDOCs at the CMU College of Medicine.
- 4-year program
- Fully accredited by ACGME
Child & Adolescent Psychiatry Fellowship available
- First-year residents treat 300+ patients in Psychiatric Unit annually
- 1 in 8 (90%) at-home psychiatry call
- More than 1,200 hospital beds in three facilities
- Clinical, academic, research and collaborate care opportunities
- 100% fellowship match rate
- High patient population, collaborative care model
- Inpatient psychiatry rotation at psychiatric hospital
- Multiple in-state and international projects presented at conferences