Visiting Student Electives
The CMU College of Medicine offers a limited number of clinical electives to medical students currently enrolled in an LCME/COCA accredited school who meet the academic prerequisites and requirements of the elective. We utilize the AAMC Visiting Student Learning Opportunities (VSLO) system to process all visiting student applications. If you are a student attending a VSLO participating home institution, please review the complete application instructions.
Under no circumstances shall an interested student from another school make independent arrangements with a faculty member for an elective prior to submitting an application. When assigning students to electives, priority will be given to enrolled CMU College of Medicine students.
International medical students are not accepted at this time for electives at the CMU College of Medicine. However, U.S. citizens who attend an approved institution are eligible to apply for electives at the CMU College of Medicine. To view list of approved institutions, please visit the Medical School Recognized by the Medical Board of California webpage.
For students at non-VSLO participating schools, you may submit the CMU College of Medicine Visiting Student Elective Application.
- Students must be in good academic and professional standing at their home school.
- Students must have taken and achieved a passing score on the USMLE Step 1 exam or the COMLEX-USA Level 1.
- Students must meet the requirements and prerequisites listed for each elective.
- Students must present proof of vaccinations and malpractice coverage insurance, including influenza and tuberculin screening within the past 12 months. COVID-19 primary vaccine series and booster are also required.
- Students must present criminal background check and drug screening results obtained within the past 12 months.