Visiting Student Electives
The CMU College of Medicine offers a limited number of clinical electives to medical students currently enrolled in an LCME/COCA accredited school who meet the academic prerequisites and requirements of the elective. We utilize the AAMC Visiting Student Learning Opportunities (VSLO) system to process all visiting student applications. If you are a student attending a VSLO participating home institution, please review the complete application instructions. For students at non-VSLO participating schools, you may submit the CMU College of Medicine Visiting Student Elective Application.
Under no circumstances shall an interested student from another school make independent arrangements with a faculty member for an elective prior to submitting an application. When assigning students to electives, priority will be given to enrolled CMU College of Medicine students.
Students who identify as members of a minority group currently underrepresented in medicine (URiM) may apply to our Diversity Scholarship program. If selected, scholars will receive a stipend to offset the cost of travel, housing and living expenses during the rotation.
- Students must be in good academic and professional standing at their home school.
- Students must have taken and achieved a passing score on the USMLE Step 1 exam or the COMLEX-USA Level 1.
- Students must meet the requirements and prerequisites listed for each elective.
- Students must present proof of vaccinations, including influenza and tuberculin screening within the past 12 months. COVID-19 primary vaccine series is required.
- Proof of malpractice coverage insurance must be provided.
- Students must present criminal background check and drug screening results obtained within the past 12 months.