Degrees and certificates
Thank you for taking a moment to learn about the educational opportunities related to political science, public service, administration and nonprofits. In addition to preparing you for careers in government, law, foreign service, media or education, we also provide you with skills you may use in all aspects of your life.
Coursework in political science teaches you to think critically, write well and speak with confidence. You will be exposed to a variety of methods of examining information, from textual analysis to the use of statistical software to analyze data. Studying political science will also help you develop a better understanding of government. We also offer internship opportunities with law offices, campaign organizations, nonprofit organizations, state legislative and congressional offices, and the governor's office, as well as for equivalent offices at the county and municipal level.
We offer many degree opportunities. If you're seeking your bachelor’s degree, we offer an undergraduate program that is available on campus and through CMU Online. If you're considering a graduate-level program, we offer an online NASPAA accredited Masters of Public Administration (MPA).
The political science and public administration majors at CMU are designed for you to take courses in a wide variety of topics. These fields include comparative politics, political theory, international relations, American state and local government, American national political institutions, nonprofits, public administration and research methods and processes. You can choose from the following opportunities at Central Michigan University.
- Certified Nonprofit Professional (CNP) credential
- Political Science Major/Minor
- International Relations Major
- Public and Nonprofit Administration Major
- Public Administration Minor
- Public Affairs Minor
- Social Studies: Political Science Concentration 6-12 (Secondary Emphasis) Major
- Social Science Major
- Citizen Engagement
- Global Governance and Advocacy
- International Non-Governmental Organization (NGO) Administration
- International Security Studies
- Lawmaking and Legal Processes
- Nonprofit Leadership and Service Minor (Coming Fall 2023)
- Political Advocacy and Elections
- Public and Social Entrepreneurship